Confusing ride quality with interior rattles (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I think I have been conflating the ride quality of my LX with the interior rattles, and using those rattles to judge the quality of the ride. I say this because I did a complete fluid flush yesterday along with brand new globes, and I still was thinking the ride was harsh. But today I drove around with the radio really loud, and I thought the ride was quite good. Turning the radio off allowed me to hear any and all interior rattles, and I immediately started to think the ride wasn't quite as good. I had one really loud one coming from the tailgate, so after banging on it a bunch I discovered it was rattling where the catch on the top half latches to the loop on the bottom half. I wrapped it with felt tape and that eliminated the rattle, and I took it on a ride afterwards and noticed the cabin was much quieter over the harsher bumps. In my mind, that meant the ride was better, but all I had done was quiet down the cabin. I still have a few smaller rattles to try to track down (including one that sounds like it is inside the dash...not sure if I will be able to get to it) but I am now much happier with the driving experience of my LX, and it was simply through the elimination of that rattle. I just wanted to share this and leave it for people to find as they do searches in the future, because I think it is worth considering when you are assessing just how well your cruiser is riding down the road.

I couldn’t agree more with your assessment. I found that when my 1 QT Nalgene bottle (which I always carry) is laid horizontal in front of the drivers seatbelt my center stack kinda creeks/rattles constantly. I moved it to the passenger side for some reason one day and was like wow.. immediately felt like my ride was better as well. I do believe the noise has a psychological effect lol. I had mashed all over the radio area in frustration but it’s all good now. I don’t really have any other major noises <knock on wood>.

I couldn’t agree more with your assessment. I found that when my 1 QT Nalgene bottle (which I always carry) is laid horizontal in front of the drivers seatbelt my center stack kinda creeks/rattles constantly. I moved it to the passenger side for some reason one day and was like wow.. immediately felt like my ride was better as well. I do believe the noise has a psychological effect lol. I had mashed all over the radio area in frustration but it’s all good now. I don’t really have any other major noises <knock on wood>.
Yes, I get the same sound with my water bottle in that cupholder. Drives me nuts! I am going to have my wife drive me around on a rough road so I can pinpoint all of the interior noises and then try to fix each of them. Right now I think there are 2-3 moderate ones. The tailgate was the major one and it is now much better!

Shifter button for me. My wife holds it while we drive when it acts up.

What I’ve found resolves 98% of the interior annoying rattles and noises is this: Replace the weatherstripping on ALL the doors with new OEM (including the rear hatch) and pull all of the door panels off and foam the inside of them. The one rattle I’ve not been able to get rid of is the center console.

What I’ve found resolves 98% of the interior annoying rattles and noises is this: Replace the weatherstripping on ALL the doors with new OEM (including the rear hatch) and pull all of the door panels off and foam the inside of them. The one rattle I’ve not been able to get rid of is the center console.
Could you elaborate on foaming the inside? Is it spray foam? Will it harden and cause issues if I have to remove the panel to replace a part in the future? I have a rattle in my passenger side door (inside the door panel) and I have removed it in the past to refoam the speaker. There are a lot of connections in there and I don't want to mess anything up.

Could you elaborate on foaming the inside? Is it spray foam? Will it harden and cause issues if I have to remove the panel to replace a part in the future? I have a rattle in my passenger side door (inside the door panel) and I have removed it in the past to refoam the speaker. There are a lot of connections in there and I don't want to mess anything up.
Just foam weatherstripping from Home Depot (M-D Building Products 1-1/4 in. x 42 in. Foam Weatherstripping for Air Conditioners-02006 - The Home Depot - https://www.homedepot.com/p/M-D-Building-Products-1-1-4-in-x-42-in-Foam-Weatherstripping-for-Air-Conditioners-02006/100353462).

I cut and glued pieces of it on the inside of the panel where the panel is close to or does make contact with the door. It compresses really well, spreads out evenly when compressed, and won’t harden.

Just foam weatherstripping from Home Depot (M-D Building Products 1-1/4 in. x 42 in. Foam Weatherstripping for Air Conditioners-02006 - The Home Depot - https://www.homedepot.com/p/M-D-Building-Products-1-1-4-in-x-42-in-Foam-Weatherstripping-for-Air-Conditioners-02006/100353462).

I cut and glued pieces of it on the inside of the panel where the panel is close to or does make contact with the door. It compresses really well, spreads out evenly when compressed, and won’t harden.
Excellent, thank you!

There's even a genuine Toyota Interior noise kit. I'm not saying to buy it but just that it exists and is comprised of various foam shapes and what looks like plastic adhesive strips... I'm guessing to put in between squeaking parts.

Image 1 -  08231-00801 Interior Noise Kit Genuine OEM New

I was the guy complaining about the dash rattle on the FB post, decided to jump on IHM to search for "dash support pins" 😅
And I'm the guy who told you about em. 😃

If you pull the cluster you can trace it more than likely to those pins, my outboard ones creak over bumps.

Ha. This is funny.

My 4 year old has a car seat with a little extendable foot rest. Foot rest out = rattle. On an almost weekly basis I'll be driving and hear that thing rattle on road seams and think, "jeez, this feels rough" and then look back and see that damn thing extended. Push it back in and the noise (and perceived harshness) improves.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom