Compressor Size Question (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
The answer is probably in search, but I dont feel like looking, I want a new compressor, I have an opportunity to pick up a 60 gal 6 H.P elect, its an older Craftsman, I know it's noisy but on the cheap, $150.00, good shape. blah, blah...anyway, is this big enough for me to be satisfied trying to run a cut off tool, will it keep up for at least a short period of time? the cut-off tool would be the biggest air user I have, the ratchets and impacts, I am certain would be fine.

Steve

If its a oil less unit Id say skip it but i its wet sump compressor I would go for it at that price
should handle what you want to do for awhile

Yeah, It's oil less, therefore noisy, although I have an old speedaire dual stage compressor and #240 volt motor available to replace the motor, I am not a real shop, just a household garage and a guy that does his own work, my real question is, is 60 gallons enough to work comfortably with out getting pissed off waiting for the compressor? I got my hands on a 120 gallon tank but got scared to pressurize the thing as it was built in 1950's

You would need to findout what the CFM@ what PSI to be able to tell if it will keep up with your tools .
some are rated @ both 90psi and 125#s

you need to put in at least the same if not more CFMs then you can takeout to be happy with it ;)

OK, Cool, simple math...Thanks:banana:

Like Koffer said, stay away from oil less. I used to work in a bicycle shop, we used compressor all day every day. Oil less would live about a year, sometimes less while belt driven units would last years and years.

Look at duty cycle. I went from dual stage, 220v huge air compressors to smaller more portable 110v units. I have a IR upright with a smaller tank, but two key points. It has 100 percent duty cycle so the motor can run ALL of the time and more importantly, it's super quiet so it does not drive you crazy.

My 60 gallon 220V units would kick on when sand blasting and wake the dead. You had to wear good ear protection. Where as my little 110V IR can kick on at night and you won't even hear it. You can easily talk over the noise (even with my 18 percent hearing loss).

FREE SHIPPING — Ingersoll Rand Electric Portable Air Compressor — 2 HP, 110 Volt, Model# SS3R2GM | 3 - 10 CFM | Northern Tool + Equipment

Perfect for the home garage, running air tools, etc. When I down sized my shop for my move to So Cal I decided to get smaller more portable gear and this particular tool has been a pleasure to own.

I also have this CH compressor that I use for wood working. Like the IR, it's also very quiet and has lasted for years with out trouble. I have a 110V version of the one in this link and it's been great.

Product - Cast Iron Compressor, 3 Running HP, 26 Gallon - from Campbell Hausfeld

What I have done in some situations where I needed a lot of air like running a bead blast cabinet is hook two smaller compressor together vs. having one HUGE and LOUD compressor. Works for me.

-Stumbaugh

X3.. Oilless compressors suck in every way. Avoid it all costs.

I have the Kobalt 60 gallon 220V compressor from Lowe's. It does a great job and keeps up with my sandblaster. Not a bad deal for 400.

Guess I dont have to worry about this one..the dick sold it...frigging Craigs list:bang:

I have the Kobalt 60 gallon 220V compressor from Lowe's. It does a great job and keeps up with my sandblaster. Not a bad deal for 400.

Sounds like the one I have, only mine is a Porter Cable, it's this one:

Delta Machinery|Porter Cable Product Details for 135 PSI, 60 Gallon, 240 Volts, Oil Lube Stationary Compressor - Model # CPLC7060V

Runs my cutoff tools all day. Haven't tried a sandblaster yet, not sure if it would keep up with a big one.

The size of the tank is only half of the rating, it's the output of the compressor that is also important.

Guess I dont have to worry about this one..the dick sold it...frigging Craigs list:bang:
He's a dick because he sold it to someone who came up with the money first? :confused:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom