Compressor Bearings (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Website
www.madtripper.com
I recently gained some noise from under the hood. I was thinking it was idler or tension pulley but as it turns out, my compressor is making the growl. I'm in the middle of pulling the pulley as I am trying to get the ever-so-fun spring clip out.

Tripper

IF it's your clutch bearing AND the rest of the clutch is still serviceable (not worn out), then you could replace the bearing there.

IF the compressor itself is making any noise...don't bother with it, replace it.

AC clutch bearing.jpg

Last edited:
Thanks for the input. I've been reading through the thread below which was really helpful. I don't appear to have play on my compressor shaft and AC was working fine. The bearing was blasted as you can see it came out in parts. Additionally, I didn't have a washer/spacer as mentioned in the thread below. I'm planning on grabbing the bearing tomorrow and getting things back together.

IMG_20191116_183703.jpg

IMG_20191116_183758.jpg

IMG_20191116_185127.jpg

IMG_20191116_183706.jpg

I should add I wouldn't mind replacing the spring clip when I reassemble. I'm pretty sure all is ok with the original but I did mangle it a tad. If anyone has a part number, let me know and thanks again.

Tripper

If anyone has tips for getting that d@mn spring clip back on....I'd be grateful. I have tried several different tactics but nothing has worked. My pliers just don't spread wide enough. I thought maybe putting the clip on a 7/8 socket and slipping it on might work but no good there either.

Turns out the clip fell into the abyss. I took the skid plates off and searched but no luck. Interesting I did find the shim that I didn't realize was there!

So I ordered the following and I'm going to try and get a higher quality set of snap ring pliers as well. I did have a new Santech bearing in already but since I needed to place an order, figured I'd do it correct. And yes, I ordered two snap rings because I have no doubt I'll lose another during the process. That snap ring is absolutely the worst part of this project. What should be less than 1 hour has turned into multiple days.

130BD5222T1XDDUM6CGA/C BRGNSK18.92$
28833514020BUSH, WINDSHIELD WASHER JARToyota11.31$
39009907065RING, SNAPToyota20.78$

Edit: These are the pliers I ordered. I'm tired of the cheap set I had and I'm hoping these will do the job.

Amazon product ASIN B002E06ULW

Tripper

Last edited:
30BD5222 is he numbder and leters after that tells the cover.

I used a Chinese bering once and trust me it lasted 6000 miles!

The washer/spacer should be inside the clutch disk.

30BD5222 is he numbder and leters after that tells the cover.

I used a Chinese bering once and trust me it lasted 6000 miles!

The washer/spacer should be inside the clutch disk.
Thanks again for the input. Pliers arrived and they are solid but big. I'm not sure the tips will fit but I'll figure something out.
I did find the washer but I'll get a reading to see if the gap is in spec. I'm also waiting on the nsk bearing.

I'm hoping to get things back in order soon. I was daily driving it and kind of miss it! Not that my tundra is a shabby ride....there is just something about driving the land crusher.

Tripper

I'm finally set to get things together tomorrow. Just to update...

The plier set from Amazon is huge! I'm pretty sure I'll send them back as the tips don't fit in the holes and I have no idea if I'd ever encounter any spring clips as large as these were made for. I stopped at Harbor Freight and grabbed a set that will work just fine.
New bearing arrived as well as the rest of the parts. I'll hopefully get everything back together in the morning and finally have my wheels back.

Edit: I forgot to add...I have no idea what kind of gremlin magic www.partsouq.com has going on but I placed my order, next day it said shipped from UAE and would arrive the following day. I thought Amazon was quick but these guys are nuts!

I bought parts from partsouq and they shipped it on Monday 18th early morning TX time from UAE and I received the package at my door at 11AM on 20th. They had all the parts I wanted for 90Hilux, 97 4Runner, 03 Taco, 00 LC and 92 Corolla.

All back together and seems to be back to normal. Bay is quiet and AC clutch engages on request. I ended up having to add the thickest washer in the kit in addition to my existing washer to get .15 on my feeler gauge. Other than that, I wish I had some tip to offer for dealing with that spring clip but I do not. I used the pliers to get one side in the groove and then worked my way around. For the final section, I reversed my pliers, put the tip in the end that needed to be set and used that little cup rim for leverage. Once it was on the shaft, I pushed with a screwdriver. That is seriously a huge pain in the a$$.

Thanks again to those that performed this and documented.

Tripper

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom