Colorado Wheeling (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

You'd be suprised, although I don't know much about the RX8 drivetrain, but the old RX7(FD last gen) drvetrains are very stout, I've seen plenty(first hand) running stock trannies and difs putting down over 600whp...

But either way make sure your car is ok and isn't being recalled...

The main reason we bought the 8 was for the rotary. We went to look at Vettes first (despite being anti-US mobile buyees). If the 8 wasn't liked I a snagged a WRX Sti despite me thinking they're ugly now. I wanted a Vette Convetable but they seemed so cheap and rode like poop. :confused:

If it wasn't just to be the "babe's ride" you should have gotten the STI. Our 06 is a blast to drive...but on longer trips its not that comfortable with the seating and stiff suspension. What does that Rx8 get for gas mileage? The STI isn't much better than the 80 on mpg, because its too hard not to drive it spiritedly.

CodyRx7 said:
If it wasn't just to be the "babe's ride" you should have gotten the STI. Our 06 is a blast to drive...but on longer trips its not that comfortable with the seating and stiff suspension. What does that Rx8 get for gas mileage? The STI isn't much better than the 80 on mpg, because its too hard not to drive it spiritedly.

She hates the WRX's looks more than me. She wanted a Vette or an Rx8. The Vette gets decent mileage. The Rx8 sucks. 18 everywhere....even highway. They're gas hogs and you need to watch oil every 2 fill-ups. The way that rotary goes (smoooooooth) is amazing, BUT ONLY if these new jobs don't blow up. :D

You know though....it's amazing how NICE...seriously...NICE the Rx8 rides everywhere.

From atop The Wall on PG:

49152840-M.jpg

I like your pic John. I only had one taken of me. (top left:grinpimp: )
P0002583.jpg

Stock LSD and no gearing redux'n.. I was only one up that afternoon. Oh, and did I say :grinpimp: already?

Tools R Us said:
This thread is about Colorado Wheeling, the maz-duh egg beater forum is thirteen forums down on the right! :bounce: :flipoff2:
Would you prefer we talk about VW's

DBAX said:
I like your pic John. I only had one taken of me. (top left:grinpimp: )
P0002583.jpg

Stock LSD and no gearing redux'n.. I was only one up that afternoon. Oh, and did I say :grinpimp: already?

I've got a DVD of me going up the right side in the 100 right by your truck!

I am really looking forward to exploring Colorado when we move there this winter.

That is some beautiful country up there. I was amazed when looking up the shear hillsides there would be a mine dug and almost no way to get there.
The week before we went(two years ago) some folks had driven their heep off of Black Bear and the wife found the article, with a picture of the mangled wreckage, so that trail was out. IIRC we were coming down PG, and I was looking down "the wall"( i didn't know it had a name) when the words "No way in he$$" were screamed at me, and we went back up the trail. I definitely want to go back and drive all those passes again!
By the way this is my first post, even though I've been lurking since the sor forum so bring it!!:flipoff2:

pelirojo said:
That is some beautiful country up there. I was amazed when looking up the shear hillsides there would be a mine dug and almost no way to get there.
The week before we went(two years ago) some folks had driven their heep off of Black Bear and the wife found the article, with a picture of the mangled wreckage, so that trail was out. IIRC we were coming down PG, and I was looking down "the wall"( i didn't know it had a name) when the words "No way in he$$" were screamed at me, and we went back up the trail. I definitely want to go back and drive all those passes again!
By the way this is my first post, even though I've been lurking since the sor forum so bring it!!:flipoff2:

Welcome to the CSC forum:flipoff2:

Black Bear is not hard just narrow. :eek: Switch backs are a lot wider and better maintained then they were 15 years ago when I first went down. My wife walk it back then but now she is OK in the cruiser.

LandCruiserPhil said:
Welcome to the CSC forum:flipoff2:

Black Bear is not hard just narrow. :eek: Switch backs are a lot wider and better maintained then they were 15 years ago when I first went down. My wife walk it back then but now she is OK in the cruiser.

you can thank me for that lol. this is the widest black bear has been in over 15 years. problem was the guys who were supposed to clear it every year with the dozers just cruised through and pushed the little stuff off. this year we fixed it alot. there were a few places under 6 feet wide so we took some time. For those of you that thing its scary in a cruiser or jeep you should try it in a dozer. the scarest part is we run the dozer in from ouray then walk it down. this mean that the metal skid dozzer has to walk (or slid rather) down the stair steps. If only i could show you the vids i have of pushing rocks off the size of a mini van over the edge.
IMGP0573.jpg
IMGP0582.jpg
IMGP0592.jpg

Wow, great photos. Anymore background to them? Like, how/why you were the one who did that? Any cool stories of road maintenance mishaps? I have a pic from near there too.. I wish I knew I could've helped ;)

lx450landcruiser did they close down bridal veil and surrounding area before dozerville began. That crater looks like not so much fun for anyone involved except for the dozeree. Why did it have to come from ouray? Nice pics everyone.

we closed down the whole end of the canyon. you could drive to the mine at the bottom but that was as far as you could go no hikers, bikers, climbers or wheelers. also blocked off the road from ouray (although there are alot of dumb people that went past our road blocks) we had to call the sheriff in one day due to a couple kids that ran past the flagger at the bottom to go climb. some people just dont get that a rock as large as the ones we were moving can come clear down to the bottom. The rocks would rip out full size trees on the way down. The back ground to the pics is i work for the san miguel county this summer as a summer job. get to do alot of wheeling and get payed for it. Black bear was closed early summer a couple times due to really bad mud slides that took out sections of the road. it was our job to go up and repair them.

mike

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom