Colorado Wheeling (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

LandCruiserPhil

Peter Pan Syndrome
Supporting Vendor
Threads
Its been 12 years since I wheeled the passes of Colorado so last month we loaded up the 100 and headed north. Started with Black Bear pass and ended 3 days later with Ophir pass. Six passes total and 210 miles of offroading in some of the best scenery Colorado has to offer. The only changes noted in 12 years were better maintained trails, lot more wheelers, and bathrooms at 14,000'.
P7150019.JPG
P7150066.JPG
P7150125.JPG

awsome pic, i've lived in colorado for over 20 years and have been to the southwest corner once.
to snowboard in durango.

thanx for the view :beer:

wow great pics, is that snow in the last picture?

Awesome photos Phil, this trip is on the close radar for next year - thanks for posting

how do you like driving the 100 ?

Phil, did you camp or hotel your stay? We stayed in a condo just north of the Ouray public hot springs. I've always wanted to camp the mountains, but the wife and friends always seem hooked on a warm-n-dry bed. Me, I want cold air, campfire and stars.

accasbel said:
Phil, did you camp or hotel your stay? We stayed in a condo just north of the Ouray public hot springs. I've always wanted to camp the mountains, but the wife and friends always seem hooked on a warm-n-dry bed. Me, I want cold air, campfire and stars.

Lee up until 2 years ago all we did was camp. But now we as a family have found a balance with KOA Kampin Kabins. You will soon find out as Galen gets older he needs more out of the trips then a car ride. KOA has a playgound, other kids, hot tub, showers and as :princess: Mia (now 10) puts it flushing toliets. So now everyone is happy at a reasonable price. Now for a camp fire all you do is go to KOA store and buy wood. :rolleyes:

This trip to the mountains had more-n-longer stops than before. Galen (and the other kids) needed plenty of time to stretch, play, and explore. And get dirty, bug bit, and worn out... This was a family outing, no doubt about it.

We've stayed many a time at the Ouray KOA Kabins. But for this trip with several other sharing the pain, it was cheaper to get the condo. But no campfire.

Shotts did you see Mazda is recalling the RX-8?
MONTEREY, Calif. -- After suffering a black eye from disclosing that it won't count RX-8 owners' opinions in its internal customer-satisfaction scores, Mazda says it may have to replace the engines in many of its flagship sports cars.
The voluntary recall of all 2004 and 2005 vehicles, and some 2006s, is expected to be announced this week or next. It involves damage to the catalyst resulting from oil leaks in the RX-8's rotary engine.

Any engine that does not pass a vacuum test must be replaced, said Robert Davis, head of product development and quality at Mazda North American Operations.

Engines prone to failing the test are mostly in hot climates and use synthetic oils.

Mazda also will check each RX-8's battery and starter, which tend to fail in cold climates.

"We're going to give these cars the white-glove treatment," Davis said. "We would rather replace the engine than have the dealer crack them open."

Davis would not disclose the projected failure rate of the engines or the cost to replace them.

Mazda has a remanufacturing center in North Carolina that will rebuild faulty engines and return them to service.

The recall comes after a video Webcast by two dealers who attended the July 11-13 National Dealer Advisory Council meetings in Newport Beach, Calif., was leaked on the Internet.

In the video, dealers said problems with the RX-8 were unfairly lowering Mazda customer-satisfaction scores.

Mazda informed the dealers that RX-8 owners would continue to be surveyed, but that the responses would not factor into dealer customer-satisfaction scores.

Mazda has issued service bulletins on such trouble spots as squeaky brakes and engine flooding.

Just saw that you have one in your sig...

Relix said:
Shotts did you see Mazda is recalling the RX-8?

Just saw that you have one in your sig...

Ooooo, great heads up! Thanks!

After owning a zero-trouble Rx7....having another rotary floated our boat. We found nothing as fun to drive (handling). I hate heavier cars no matter the speed. I was VERY concerned though about Rx8 reliability. I heard by '06 that most issues were worked out. Time will tell.

you guys can come up to beautiful telluride labor day weekend a bunch of colorado wheelers will be there

mike

All car companies should exclude the data for their worst cars from their satisfaction ratings. In fact, only include the data from the happiest respondents. Who wants the truth, anyway?

-Spike

ShottsUZJ100 said:
Ooooo, great heads up! Thanks!

After owning a zero-trouble Rx7....having another rotary floated our boat. We found nothing as fun to drive (handling). I hate heavier cars no matter the speed. I was VERY concerned though about Rx8 reliability. I heard by '06 that most issues were worked out. Time will tell.
Slap an LS1 into that RX8 of you're I'm not sure about the rotary in that model but the LS1 conversion is only 13lbs heavier then the engine form the last RX7(FD)....Imagine how much more fun that car would be with an extra 100hp and 250ft/lbs of tq

Relix said:
Slap an LS1 into that RX8 of you're I'm not sure about the rotary in that model but the LS1 conversion is only 13lbs heavier then the engine form the last RX7(FD)....Imagine how much more fun that car would be with an extra 100hp and 250ft/lbs of tq

I think it wouldn't be fun for long. It would eat up the other drivetrain components.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom