Color matching front bumpers (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Dunbar

SILVER Star
Threads
Where do you go to get a color match? Both my other trucks have ARB's original black finish. My 200 is Blizzard White and I like the color matched bull bar pics I see on ARB's pdf flyer for the Summit bar and on several OZ and local US threads I see in this forum. I would not do it unless the color is a perfect match. Do I get paint from Toyota or can any body shop match it and finish it to look just as good?
Color matched bull bar.png

Where do you go to get a color match? Both my other trucks have ARB's original black finish. My 200 is Blizzard White and I like the color matched bull bar pics I see on ARB's pdf flyer for the Summit bar and on several OZ and local US threads I see in this forum. I would not do it unless the color is a perfect match. Do I get paint from Toyota or can any body shop match it and finish it to look just as good?
View attachment 2825895

The paint code for you vehicle is on your door plaque, its a 3 character code. Almost any body shop can paint match with paint. A better option is to get it powder coated. A power coat shop can also paint match.

Even though any body shop can match it, the paint code itself is not enough for difficult colors like blizzard pearl. The color will be slightly different every time (noticably so). They need something to match against so they can adjust the color. I dropped off my hitch cover at the same time as the bumper so they could match against that.

Most body shops won't strip the old paint / powder coat, though. You have to first get the bumper media blasted to get it down to bare metal, then get it to the body shop for primer as soon as possible afterward (the same or next day) to limit surface oxidation.

As for body shops, I have learned that some use OEM branded paint, and others don't. I went with a body shop that doesn't because they had great reviews and were cheaper. The paint matches perfectly, but it doesn't seem as durable. I don't know if it's just the paint they used, or if they did something wrong. Even though it looks fantastic, I sorta wish I had used the body shop that's affiliated with the Toyota dealership and claims to use OEM branded paint.

Any *good* body shop can color match your bumpers. Ask around with people in the industry who a good body is shop is in your area. Not people who had body work done, most consumers aren't good judges of quality body work. You could also find out which body shop the dealers send their vehicles to (many outsource body work or at least their overflow).

Even though any body shop can match it, the paint code itself is not enough for difficult colors like blizzard pearl. The color will be slightly different every time (noticably so). They need something to match against so they can adjust the color. I dropped off my hitch cover at the same time as the bumper so they could match against that.

Most body shops won't strip the old paint / powder coat, though. You have to first get the bumper media blasted to get it down to bare metal, then get it to the body shop for primer as soon as possible afterward (the same or next day) to limit surface oxidation.

As for body shops, I have learned that some use OEM branded paint, and others don't. I went with a body shop that doesn't because they had great reviews and were cheaper. The paint matches perfectly, but it doesn't seem as durable. I don't know if it's just the paint they used, or if they did something wrong. Even though it looks fantastic, I sorta wish I had used the body shop that's affiliated with the Toyota dealership and claims to use OEM branded paint.
I'm pretty sure there is no such thing as OEM branded paint (except touch up paint). I have friends at body shops and they use commercially available paints (like PPG) on dealership vehicles.

Thanks for the replies. ARB's flyer said it's black powder coated and paint ready for those who want to color match. Top of second page.

Similar to previous ARB Deluxe Bars, the Land Cruiser Summit bar is finished in a satin
black powder coat finish, which is paint-ready for those who would like to color match
the Summit bar to the vehicle paint code color. A zinc rich primer is used for additional
corrosion resistance.

Any guess on the price range an average body shop would charge to paint one? With even part of a car costing thousands for paint they may want $5k just to paint this thing. It must be rocket science.

I'm pretty sure there is no such thing as OEM branded paint (except touch up paint). I have friends at body shops and they use commercially available paints (like PPG) on dealership vehicles.

That's probably true, the body shop that I did not use (which is across the street from Toyota and who the dealership said they use) said that they only use the same brand paints as Toyota.

Any guess on the price range an average body shop would charge to paint one? With even part of a car costing thousands for paint they may want $5k just to paint this thing. It must be rocket science.

For my Rhino bumper, it was going to be around $350, until they found out it was Blizzard Pearl, which is a lot harder for them. They charged $600. They other quote from the one across from the dealership was $700.

$100 in materials, a few hours of time for prep, spraying multiple coats and sanding between shooting, final cutting and buffing, reimbursing for decades of life experience: my guess is around $1500.

But I bet most of us know a guy that'd paint it for the cost of materials and a 12 pack.

You often get what you pay for. :)

As an aside, I'm told that pearl and metalflake both take much more skill to match and get to look great.

I'd also add that I've done a very small
amount of painting (race cars, roll bars, etc.) and my perspective is that painting curved and complex surfaces without runs is much more difficult than painting a flat surface or simple body panel.

Last edited:
I don't see why you wouldn't power coat it vs just paint it?

I don't see why you wouldn't power coat it vs just paint it?

Getting my bumper painted, I assumed (perhaps incorrectly), that it would be near impossible to get powder coat to match the stock blizzard pearl color. Even small differences in color tone stand out quite a lot with this color. I wonder if anyone here has experience getting something powder coated to match these 3-layer colors like blizzard pearl?

My assumption was that it would be very difficult to match a blizzard white pearl with powdercoat, but I only have limited experience and only with simple colors (black, red, grey).

I've had my OEM bumper (blizzard pearl) replaced years prior to getting my ARB and it was such a hassle to get it color-matched. The first attempt looked terrible, the second better, and the third they had the paint company send a guy out to oversee the process. It was visibly better on the third attempt, but still didn't match 100%. I originally wanted to get the ARB painted/matched, but I opted out because it was such a hassle on my OEM back in the day and I just didn't want to go through that again. If they couldn't match it to my liking, I was either going to live with something I didn't like or find a way to go back. I just said F it and put the bumper on. It looks great as-is.

View attachment 2825895

Just make sure the work order says to match the paint on the car.... not the paint code.

Powder coat is $$$ and paint is way less.

and if your going to also get a rear bumper .. best to paint them at the same time.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom