Color Differences Between Trim Levels (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I am looking into buying some replacement parts for the interior of my '86 Canadian spec BJ70, but many parts are unavailable. However, a many of the interior parts are available when reviewing all trim levels that the BJ70 was offered in during the late '80s.
I am suspicious that mixing gray parts across various trim levels might have other differences. Namely, the gray hues might vary between the trim levels.
i.e., gray used in BJ70L is not identical to that used in a BJ70LV
Similar consideration for the grays in the BJ70R and BJ70RV trim levels.

Is there a means to identify if there are color differences (or commonality) of interior parts for late 80s 70 series trucks by trim level?

Thank you

I am looking into buying some replacement parts for the interior of my '86 Canadian spec BJ70, but many parts are unavailable. However, a many of the interior parts are available when reviewing all trim levels that the BJ70 was offered in during the late '80s.
I am suspicious that mixing gray parts across various trim levels might have other differences. Namely, the gray hues might vary between the trim levels.
i.e., gray used in BJ70L is not identical to that used in a BJ70LV
Similar consideration for the grays in the BJ70R and BJ70RV trim levels.

Is there a means to identify if there are color differences (or commonality) of interior parts for late 80s 70 series trucks by trim level?

Thank you
I assume you’re not talking about seat fabrics?

I assume you’re not talking about seat fabrics?
No I am not referring to the fabric. The gray used in plastic and vinyl is the focus of my question.

Last edited:
Hello,

Before 1999, the colors were "grey" and "brown."

After 1999, the colors changed to "slate grey" and "oak."

New colors are lighter than their older counterparts.

Juan

I have a whole bunch of grab handles from various eras and various grays. I ended up ordering a bunch of mismatched trying to do the same thing that you are.

Anyway, I've got them in a bag here in Buckhead if you want to poke through them. Not sure if it will help.

I've also replaced half my dash with the "new" style gray. You're welcome to see any of it in person.

I think it has to do more with that "oak", "ivory", "light grey", "bluish grey" or "slate grey" made in 1993 is not going to exactly match "oak", "ivory", "light grey", "bluish grey" or "slate grey" made in 2021. I am sure the 30+ years of aging of the trim pieces plays a factor too. I can't imagine Toyota put in yellow'ish sunroof control bezels from the factory.

Toyota didn't do a good job matching up the interior colors to begin with from the factory new it seems like. If you try to match it all up, you will drive yourself crazy.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom