Coil spring conversion help (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hi All,

Been lurking looking for an FJ40 or FJ43 over the last couple of months. Have seen a few I was interested in. I prefer a US spec model but have checked out some BJ4X and FJ43 that were non US. There was a yellow FJ40 recently sold in Houston that was exactly what I had in mind but I missed that boat.

Anyhow this BJ41 popped up very locally, as in walking distance from my wife's work office so figured I should at least take a look. One thing I'm totally unfamiliar with is the coil spring conversion. I'd have preferred the leaf springs but I'm not against modifications if they are done well. I don't know the first thing about this conversion so was hoping I could get some comments on this, if it was done well (or not), any problems to look for etc. I'm no hard-core wheeler, but I want to make sure this looms robust and reliable.

Appreciate any feedback either way. Thanks.

Hi All,

Been lurking looking for an FJ40 or FJ43 over the last couple of months. Have seen a few I was interested in. I prefer a US spec model but have checked out some BJ4X and FJ43 that were non US. There was a yellow FJ40 recently sold in Houston that was exactly what I had in mind but I missed that boat.

Anyhow this BJ41 popped up very locally, as in walking distance from my wife's work office so figured I should at least take a look. One thing I'm totally unfamiliar with is the coil spring conversion. I'd have preferred the leaf springs but I'm not against modifications if they are done well. I don't know the first thing about this conversion so was hoping I could get some comments on this, if it was done well (or not), any problems to look for etc. I'm no hard-core wheeler, but I want to make sure this looms robust and reliable.

*looks reliable and robust

Hi All,

That yellow one in Huston was a great buy and a tremendous value if it was the one that was just recently sold on the forum here? The white interior combined with being a South American truck would immediately turn me off of the one posted. Also, since its a BAT auction, you are likely to end up paying over real market value because that platform seems to attract folks with more money than sense or experience. There is a pretty wide margin of difference between the yellow Huston 40 and this 40 as far as setup and capabilities, so I think we need a better idea of your intentions and uses of the truck. The yellow 40 ( mustard actually) had lockers and was a capable trail truck. This one was obviously built to look good and ride good, which is more likely what you are after being in South Florida? No sense in paying for a truck with lockers and a winch and brush guard if you will never use them, unless you just want the "look" - which I do understand.

How will you use a 40 and what is your budget?

If you are dead set on this one and it checks out in person, I would try and do everything in my power to setup a pre-purchase inspection through @cruisermatt with Cruiser Matt's Offroad in Winter Park, FL. CruiserMatt's Off-Road & Performance - https://www.cruisermatts.com/

Hi All,

The coil spring conversion is common on rigs modified in South America. Also common on 40 series built by the FJ Company, but this seems to be a copy cat, not an actual FJCO truck. Never driven one with a coil spring conversion, but I suspect it would be quite a nice & welcome upgrade over leaf springs if it was properly executed.

Thanks for the feedback. I 100% agree the white interior is not for me. I don't have any urgent desire to actually purchase this one, it's just so conveniently located I wanted to take a look...if by chance it was cheap enough I'd be willing to consider recovering the seats and whatever else may be needed. But this is really just me being curious! And I'm not sure I want a diesel anyhow...I really like the FJ43 but I know you have to be careful with SA vehicles.

Yes it was the mustard FJ40 sold on here a couple weeks ago. I certainly do not need the lockers etc, but it had the look and price that I liked for sure.

I am in north florida and don't plan on doing any serious off roading. Whatever I get will be used for fishing trips to cedar key, cruising around town, the occasional camping trip to Ocala Forest, and some back road dirt road exploring. Eventually when we retire I'd like to bring it with us behind our RV as we travel.

I hope that helps. I guess to sum up I'm not looking for any kind of hard-core rig but would like to find something solid and reliable, and of course any extras like winch etc...not needed but definitely like that. Just can't pass up a chance to look at one that I can walk to tomorrow even if it's something I don't ever seriously consider buying.

The coil conversion just seemed odd to me and I didn't know if it looked "right".

Again thanks for the feedback. I suspect I'll still lbe looking for a long while haha.

Also thanks for the tip on cruiser Matt. I had looked for some local shops and found a couple but missed that one.

Should have noted I had a 72 FJ40 for a few years but it needed enough work i eventually sold the project. I'm in my 50s now and have wanted a nice 40 series driver since before I could legally drive. I've looked at early Broncos, 1st gen blazers, and 40s but I keep looking at 40s. Turns out my wife likes then the best as well and suggested I find something that we can enjoy without putting a lot, or preferably any, work into!

I actually don't think that truck is South American - BJ41 would be JDM and that is definitely a RHD to LHD conversion. A decent job as they moved the parking brake handle and changed out the windshield frame so the wipers go the correct direction but still obvious, look at the booster bolt holes in the right side of the engine bay. Those are the Prado (light duty 70 series) front struts and probably radius arms as well.

The body does look pretty good, (looks can be deceiving) but B diesels are super slow, H41 ratios aren't great around town and the radius arm conversion looks pretty questionable.

I would probably avoid this one and get a more original 2F truck. Add Power steering and maybe EFI and I think you would be a lot happier in the long run. There are plenty of good ones for sale on the classifieds here

Thanks very much for the feedback. I was on the fence about taking a look but I'll pass for sure now. I am building a shop out back and intended to finish that before pulling the trigger on anything; this one was just so close to me it was tempting.

Hopefully I'll find something nice fairly locally but most I see seem to be out West or much further north from me. I'm sure I'll have more questions soon!

It looks like 80 series front radius arms used for the front and rear. It's an odd set up to me. I didn't see sway bars either but hard to tell with those pictures. I don't know much about coil over conversions on 40 series but I would think it decreases the value on this one. It may drive great and be safe but if I was you at minimum I would offer a lower price due to the conversion.

Thanks very much for the feedback. I was on the fence about taking a look but I'll pass for sure now. I am building a shop out back and intended to finish that before pulling the trigger on anything; this one was just so close to me it was tempting.

Hopefully I'll find something nice fairly locally but most I see seem to be out West or much further north from me. I'm sure I'll have more questions soon!
Advice - forget about local. You will usually not find a good one in Florida or the southeast in general. Out west is where the good ones are.

It's an odd rear set up to me. I've never seen a radius arm on the rear end. I have seen upper and lower control arms. Adjusting caster if you lift it any will be a nightmare with the radius arm set up. Look up front axle caster correction options on the 80 series. You have 4 options. Offset trunion bearings for the Knuckle (I doubt this will be an option for the 40 series) caster plates that require ruining the original radius mounting points on the axle, frame side radius drops (best option in my opinion), or custom radius arms.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom