For Sale [CO] 80-series storage/drawer/sleeping sytem (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I think I'm going to sell my 80-series storage system. This system consists of one main storage box with two storage drawers, and one kitchen drawer. The box has two fold up wings on either side for a completely level surface in the cargo area. Also included will be two sleeping extensions which will make a surface area large enough to fit a queen sized mattress for sleeping.

I could go into all the details here, but it's probably best to just link to the build thread that has all the specs and build details.

https://forum.ih8mud.com/80-series-tech/299306-my-drawer-system-sleeping-platform-kitchen-box.html

With the storage drawers in:
StorageBox088.jpg

Completely assembled, with the sleeping extensions in place:
StorageBox108Panorama_resized.jpg

Kitchen box empty:
StorageBox031.jpg

Kitchen box in use:
Day01__082.jpg

Sale will include:
  • 1ea main storage box
  • 2ea side wings for main box (attached)
  • 2ea Storage Drawers
  • 1ea Kitchen Drawer
  • 2ea Sleeping extensions
  • 2ea Front tie-down turnbuckles
  • 4ea Mounting bolts
  • 4ea Sleeping platform bolts

No other items included (no stove, camping gear, water jug etc).

This box requires no modifications to a stock rig other than removing the third row seats if you have them, and the two rearmost tie-down points.

Asking $500 (obo), located in Fort Collins, Colorado. Can deliver anywhere from Denver, CO north to Douglas, WY. Open to reasonable offers.

EDIT: Dropped price $150!

Last edited:
Nice setup, wish I wasnt stuck putting my rig back together.

Bump.

Mike

first please

You mentioned it's 40" deep in you build thread. How tall and wide would everything be if folded to it's smallest size? I can sort of guestimate by the pics but actual measurements are best.

I ask because I plan to be in Casper WY on Sept. 15th thru 17th or 18th and want to see if it will fit inside my '05 Mazda 3i 4dr or '07 Kia Optima which is a bit larger. I would like to measure to see if it's possible to fit intact.

Also can it be partially or completely dissasembled easily? If it can what parts would have to remain intact and what are those measurements? If I can be certain it will fit we can work out the logistics.

I'm hoping not to have to drive my pickup to Wyoming if at all possible. I'm definately interested & please PM me. I sent you a PM as well. :)

BirfMark....wish I was out visiting my brother in the fine city of Ft. Collins...I would drive over and take that off your hands and tuck it in my 80!

good luck with the sale...it is a WONDERFUL storage solution!

Seeing if this ever sold...

Nope, it didn't.

I busted the kitchen box apart & threw it in a dumpster, and the main box & drawers got disassembled and turned into nesting boxes for a friend's chicken coop.

Damn, what a waste to such time and hard work. Chickens got it made!

I would have paid what you had into it, but was $500 close?

I think all the materials only came to like $350 or so. I thought $500 was fair considering the time I had in it as well.

When I broke it down, I saved all the handles I had on the drawers, but that was it.

When I was originally trying to sell it, anyone who was interested wanted it shipped across the country it seemed. Shipping killed the deal - the bulk of it just made it impractical to ship. Even though there's a ton of Cruisers running around Colorado, there aren't many owners looking to shell out $500 for a storage drawer system - it's a pretty niche item; hence it not selling I guess.

Truth be told, it wasn't as useful as I thought it would be. The box and drawers spent nearly as much time stored in my shed as they did in the back of the Cruiser.

Haha that's too bad you couldn't sell it locally. If it was for sale now i would have been all over it.

Looks like a great camping setup which is what I'm going to for now. I will be referencing your build for mine which will be more of a simple raised platform in the back with storage underneath and then the optional extensions over the 2nd row seats for sleeping. How did you attach the extensions, i couldn't see where did. How would you do it simpler after the fact?

The extensions were bolted to the main box through the aluminum angle (on the extension), using tee-nuts through the plywood of the main box:

StorageBox055.jpg

These are the tee-nuts from the 'inside' of the main box (drawer side):
StorageBox007.jpg

And the outside:
StorageBox008.jpg

If I had to do it all over again, I would come up with a different system for the side wings, or leave them out all together. The supports I used took up far too much room, and really limited what you could put down the sides. I think a french cleat system would work much better. I'd also make the whole box shorter; the height of mine was dictated by trying to clear the second row seats, which was kind of silly because we never ever used the system with those seats in place.

If you ever plan on getting a electric fridge, kiss sleeping two people in the back away. The fridges (I have an Edgestar) take up way too much room to make sleeping two people possible. They're also a bear to try & lift in & out of the passenger doors into where the second row seats normally are.

Ultimately, a good tent with a decent mattress was a far more practical way of camping than trying to climb in & out of the back of the Cruiser, though it did have some benefits once you were in there. The drawer systems, while somewhat useful, are far overrated in my opinion.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom