CMCC Registration is open (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

SteveNJ

SILVER Star
Threads
Coal Mine Cruiser Classic 2022 registration is now open!

Want to do less wheeling and more overlanding?
Expo CMCC is coming back to CMCC this year! Spend 4 days/3 nights exploring Bald Eagle State Forest as part of guided group!

New Change: You MUST have an FRS/GMRS radio. We are no longer using CB for trail communication.

GCLC20 will get any attendees 20% off their order of Rugged Radios manufactured products

Last edited:
Mammoth is the artifical "rock creek" style obstacle that's been talked about for a few years right?

Is the event still at twin Grove, while the wheeling is at Anthracite?

That is what their website says. I should have paid more attention when I registered. They also requiring radios in all vehicles and excluding CBs, which surprised me
Thanks for flagging that they have made changes. The registration page has the same old look, so I sailed right into registering without a 2nd thought what Jon and Mark might have done.

Mammoth is the artifical "rock creek" style obstacle that's been talked about for a few years right?

So in reality the only thing at twin grove is the dinner and if you choose to camp there. We are researching other alternatives but those things take time, and this isn’t a full time job for anyone.
Rausch is now $310 for the 4 days of the event NOT including passengers (over 16 add an extra $110 per person) , double the cost of AOAA for much less territory. That’s huge, even with the rise of gas prices.

And Larry, yes we updated the radios, radio has always been required, we just modernized since most everyone seems to be going FRS anyway.

So in reality the only thing at twin grove is the dinner and if you choose to camp there. We are researching other alternatives but those things take time, and this isn’t a full time job for anyone.
Rausch is now $310 for the 4 days of the event NOT including passengers (over 16 add an extra $110 per person) , double the cost of AOAA for much less territory. That’s huge, even with the rise of gas prices.

I get it, but going to an event is just as much about, maybe more so, hanging out with the people who attend as it is wheeling. Camping by yourself at a remote site (about an hour drive away) to be able to wheel kinda defeats the purpose of attending.

Anyway, don't mean to be a downer. I'll be missing y'all this year!

I get it, but going to an event is just as much about, maybe more so, hanging out with the people who attend as it is wheeling. Camping by yourself at a remote site (about an hour drive away) to be able to wheel kinda defeats the purpose of attending.

Anyway, don't mean to be a downer. I'll be missing y'all this year!

Believe me I get it, there’s no great answer right now but we are trying to work it out.

And Larry, yes we updated the radios, radio has always been required, we just modernized since most everyone seems to be going FRS anyway.

Thanks for the updates.
Over the last few years, I have found cell phone coverage at Rausch and over parks to be readily available (never noticed it not being there) which is much better than CBs. In fact, I have found the phone to be just as easy and effective as the radios. But I will pick one up to comply.

So if Twin Grove is only being used for the dinner/raffle on Saturday, where and how will check-in/inspections and daily trail rides be organized? To Johnny's points, what is the projection for how off-trail / evening comradery be fostered if there is not a primary camping/cabin site?
Changing up aspects of the event could be very positive, so it would be best to understand the how-where-why these changes are going to integrate into the event structure. Therefore, we can ensure our plans mesh with the new event.
For your background, our plans will be changing a lot this year ...

• New navigator (bride rather than Melissa).
  • Drive up will take in the entire length of the Blue Ridge Parkway and Skyline drive
  • Post trail and evening social activities will probably be very important to my bride (compared to Melissa reading several novels & text books)

Radios are primarily for trail communication. It’s hard to call back and forth in the group with a cell phone to make sure everyone makes the turn, is doing OK etc.

Also Rugged Radios is a sponsor this year: GCLC20 will get any attendees 20% off their order of Rugged Radios manufactured products

Currently Twin Grove is still where the camping is hosted. That’s not changing this year. Inspections and line-ups are done at the park.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom