Clutch took a dump (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Well, I was driving awhile ago, enjoying this incredible weather with my top down for the first time, when I go to shift gears. The clutch pedal went to the floor. I stopped, and the clutch mc was empty. I refilled it, got about 3 miles away and of course it was empty again. When I refileed it, I looked underneath as I pumped the pedal with my hand. It was leaking. I haven't located the leak, where do I look?

I'm starting to get frustrated with my "nothing wrong, no leaks" cruiser(PO's words)

Its got to be leaking at the clutch slave cylinder or the mc.If it is not on the inside on the floorboard chances are good its leaking from the slave cylinder down at the tranny possably the line but I doubt it fill up the mc and have someone get in and pump the clutch and look at the slave and watch you're eyes (brake fluid in eyes=pain) hope this helps good luck

Is this a one
banana.gif
job?
Should I remove my tranny hump cover to look at it, or from underneath?

Thanks for the speedy reply Wayne.

there is no deed to pull the trany hump.  you should be ably to see the slave with it still in.  the slave is mounted to the bell housing on the right side just behind the plane of the fire wall.  if you need to you can follow the line from the master to it. the line will be a rigid steel line coming off the master and crossing behind the enginge. it then goes down and is conected to a flexible ling that goes to the slave.  the slave should be just visible from the engine compartment.  If the puddle is under the right side of the cruiser it is most likely the slave.  If it is on the left (less likely) it is the master .

It should be an easy one man job.

ScottFJ40;
I had same symptoms. It was the slave(clutch release)
cylinder piston(rubber part) just went south. Under FJ, passenger side attached just forward of bell house, is the slave. If the accordian rubber thing is sopping wet with brake fluid, that's the problem. Rebuild or get new one. Rebuild took me one hour. If there is no brake fluid at that location, it could be leaking back of the MC into the booster. Check for wet there. Good luck

Thanks again guys. It was on the right side(passenger) of my cruiser, so hopefully its the slave.

Where do I procure a rebuild kit, or get a new one. My napa is terrible here.

I just replaced my slave and master with OEM Toyota. I don't think an OEM slave costs much more than the rebuild, but I could be wrong. It might be a good idea to replace the clutch master cylinder at the same time, as they usually fail shortly after the slave.

Another good tip for replacing the slave: Remove the cap on the master cylinder reservoir and cover the reservoir with cling-wrap. Then put the cover back over it. This will prevent the fluid from leaking all over the place when you remove the old slave. Just be sure to pull it off when you're done.

Good luck, it isn't a difficult job. I'm slow and it took me an hour or two to replace the master, slave, and rebleed.

Specter off road, Man-a-fre, and Cool Cruisers of Texas all sell rebuild kits you can order on-line.

Ok, I am embarresed I even made this post without seeing how freaking easy it is.

I replaced it, and bled it in 20 minutes, piece of cake. Thanks for the help guys.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom