Clutch Driven Motor Cooling Fan (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
A few guys in the 80 Series Tech Section have been really looking hard at the fluid driven clutch that runs our motor cooling fans.
I would really like to thank them for all the work they have been doing on it as I think it all applies to our LJ78 overheating problems
as well..
Once you have read the thread you will see what I mean. They have left no bolt un turned in their investigations..

https://forum.ih8mud.com/showthread.php?t=102633

I would like to remove my fan and clutch drive (blue hub)
but on looking at the Prado I do not think there is room to get them out without a rad sectomy(removing the rad). If any one out there with a Prado has had the fan and clutch drive off their truck without removing the rad & cowl ... How did you do it..????

Wayne,
It would probably be better than the fluid driven clutch..
AFTER you unbolted the old stuff how did you get it out from between the rad cowl and motor?? OR did you have the rad off when you did it..?? I hope I can do this without removing the rad..
The spacer you speak of is what part number?? will the same fan work or dose it need replacing as well..if so with what number?? OR do you sell a kit??
The reason I ask all these questions is that every thing else on my truck's cooling system has been done & fixed if bad etc..the fan clutch is the last thing I have to look at..

Richard, i do sell a kit but then so does ENS toyota industrial...

you need to enlarge the holes in the plastic fan but it is a direct bolt on. you do not have to remove the rad (although easier if you do) just the fan shroud and the fan/clutch housing...

i think Ens sells them for under $200...talk to Brian...

cheers

BTW Richard,
the stock rad in a LJ78 is 3 X 1/2 core.
i am having one made up of 3 X 3/4" core for Berni's bush rig. it is an increase of 40% cooling capacity. if you try and go 4 X 1/2" core then there is NO gap between the cores for cooling and defeats some of the purpose of the upgrade.

i tried to find your original post to upload this but couldn't find it...

I have thought about doing the fixed fan conversion, but I really notice the drag on the engine when the clutch is engaged. Plus it makes one hell of a racket - I don't think I'd want to cruise around with it on all the time.

I'm thinking of going with an electric fan, or overhauling the clutch mechanism on my fan. Or buying a new one.

My .02$

Edit: You can definitely re/re the fan without taking out the rad. Just remove the four bolts holding the shroud in place, and the 4 nuts holding the fan mechanism in place, and kind of slide them upward together. It's not too hard.

Robin

OH boy!! good news .. about removal ..I was sure I would have to pull the rad..
Great slide all togeather.... I think I'm going to take a day in the very near future and pull the fan and clutch unit and do a re and re adjustment on the clutch unit as per the link I posted above..
If it dose not give satisfactory service I'll go with the straight bolt on fan and spacer.. Again Wayne & Robin thanks for the info.. It seems every time I post a question you guys have the answer or have been there before yourselves.

I do hope that people are taking advantage of the link above though.. All the info a person could want on the clutch driven cooling fan..

I noticed they were also wondering about the colour relationship of the fan hub.
The 1FZ unit was blue and I noticed the other day current model HDJ79 is red (note turbo).

Anyone else seen any other colours or colors?;)

The hub on my Prado is Blue..
Any one else??

By the way Wayne thanks for the rad info..Mine is full 3 x core.
Still working great..

my 3F 80 series Red.:D
Picswithkirk5-5-06364.jpg

I can't believe the 80 series post 9 pages about the clutch fan?:rolleyes: Like wayne said put a fixed fan on it if your worried. I just clean and add 2 or 3 tubes of Denso silicone and call it good. Never had a problem running the clutch fan. I like em better for wheeling cause if you ford water or get into deep mud you don't get that hideous sound/possible damage when it goes in the water/mud.

what BJ44 said is based on self proven fact, if you run the fixed mount and the plastic fan you can and WILL loose all the blades going through deep water. the "F" series steel fans are a direct, no mod necessary, bolt on...

no flexing, tired and tested to be true (and theoreticly should pull you through the water like a propeller(great imagination eh?))...

BJ-44 said:
I can't believe the 80 series post 9 pages about the clutch fan?:rolleyes: Like wayne said put a fixed fan on it if your worried. I just clean and add 2 or 3 tubes of Denso silicone and call it good. Never had a problem running the clutch fan. I like em better for wheeling cause if you ford water or get into deep mud you don't get that hideous sound/possible damage when it goes in the water/mud.
What grade silicone oil do you run in the fans in Okinawa? I mentioned to a couple of guys and posted that the only silicone oil sold in Northern Australia was 10,000 cst and I was also told by Toyota this is what is sold down south also but they said the American oil was much lighter.That does not sound too good if the motors are overheating in summer although I can understand the need for light oil when you have ice and snow.Maybe a fan for each season.LOL.

BJ-44 said:
The silicone here is made by Nippon Denso I think it is around $5 or $6 for a small tube.
Cheers, thanks, I thought you may know the Cst [viscosity of the oil ,measured in shear with silicone oil] used in your location.

Failed Fan Clutch

I know this is resurrecting an old thread, but I am searching everywhere for the part number for the fan clutch that fits my 1990 LJ78. The one on it has a blue hub and it has ceased to work, or want to be repaired as per the 80 series thread on fan clutches. I need to get a new one. Does anyone know the part number for the fan clutch? I found that Toyota EPM says 16210-54200 which crosses with FCT-029 from Aisin, but I can't find them anywhere by those numbers. Anyone have any other ideas?

Right now I made a fixed fan of sorts that will slip when going through deep water, thus saving the plastic blades. I opened the clutch, and filled it with Denso Silicon Oil to the top of the 4 holes on the hub side of the clutch. Then I took the thermostat spring and wound it around to force the valve all the way open (max fan RPM) and pressed it back in place. Cost me about $6 and no more cooling issues. However, it roars like crazy and I don't need that kind of cooling all the time. The engine is gutless enough, it would be nice to know I'm not robbing all my power by turning my makeshift propeller fast all the time.

Anyone know where to get one of these things?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom