clunk/noise in middle of truck - over small bumps only (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
EDITED for more details.
HI there, 2016 gx 460. 55K miles. Truck drives like a dream OTHER than a clunk i can feel seeminly under my feet over smaller bumps. Here are a few more characteristics:
- only over smaller bumps
- i do wheel the truck hard on trails with lots of rocks... but always slow (still my skid plates get used now and then)
- all maint has been done - includind slip yoke grease
- it's a secondary bump...and it really feels like something is ratteling or loose.
- i removed and checked clearances for all skid plates and no issues there.
- I replced all sway bar bushings and front diff mounts

thoughts? any testing I can do? (i may drive around in low range with releases KDSS and see if that helps...that would point to sway bar bushings)

thanks!
m

Last edited:
I assume when doing your inspection underside, did you checked your shocks and UCA bushings? And all the other suspension components?
I completely tore out a UCA urathane bushing, drive side only, driving on a HEAVENLY wash board road for about an hour.

That'll be tough to figure out given the description. Is it clunking during the uptravel (hitting/ascending the bump), or on the downtravel as you hit flat ground? Or seemingly unrelated to suspension travel and you think something else is moving/clunking? Always on the same side?

Maybe jack up one of the front corners, and see if there's any play with the wheel. And then remove the wheel/tire and check for any looseness in the caliper or other suspension parts.

Reactions: r2m
I have what you described with my Prado. It is the front sway bar. Mine does it after it rains and the bushes dry out. Then I oil them up and the noise is gone.

What bushing was it? It definitely is not something in the wheel or control arms...so I came to the conclusion that it's either the KDSS sway bar frame mount or the front diff mount... I'm going to pick up the away bar mount tomorrow and swap that in and see how it goes. *edited to take out crazy auto correct lol

Last edited:
I will take a picture for you tonight. I find that if I put a dry lubricant on it lasts about the longest. I have not changed my bushes yet as they dont show much wear. However it defiantly the problem as if I oil them the noise goes away.

Suspect KDSS FSB, could be either the KDSS Bushing or the fixed end bushes.

I've had simar, i replaced KDSS bushings noise went away for a while, the returned but less so, i replaced the fixed end bushings, clunk gone

Suspect KDSS FSB, could be either the KDSS Bushing or the fixed end bushes.

I've had simar, i replaced KDSS bushings noise went away for a while, the returned but less so, i replaced the fixed end bushings, clunk gone

As it happens earlier today I changed the kdss LCA bushings, the fixed link bushing AND and front diff mount bushings. It's possible the noise is less frequent...but it's still there! Very frustrating.

I didn't see a part number for just the kdss ram bushing...but I'll check. I think after this I'll take the FSB off completely and then test it out.

Got these quickly, 'course LexYota OE would be superior. But, yeah, the ram bushing is another one to check/replace.

I've now replced all my sway bar bushings and front diff moutns and it really feels like something big is rattling/loose. Is there a transmission mount or transfer case mount i can check? I think tomorrow i'll pull the rest of the skid plates off and see what i find.

So i have now taken off the front sway bar completely (and the front skid plate) and oddly enough i can still hear it - but happens noticably less. (my test procedure is driving over the same 4 blocks at the same speed).

So...i think this means it's the lower control arms. Because they now don't have the sway bar fighting them... does this make sense?

RSB?
Mine, thrashed -again-
IMG_20200913_183756.jpg
IMG_20200913_183818.jpg

How do your ball joint boots and tie rods look?
You can put the front end on jack stands and grab the front tire by the sides and try to jiggle it (tie rods) or by the top and bottom (ball joints)...

RSB?
Mine, thrashed -again-
View attachment 2438917View attachment 2438918

How do your ball joint boots and tie rods look?
You can put the front end on jack stands and grab the front tire by the sides and try to jiggle it (tie rods) or by the top and bottom (ball joints)...

Ouch...hope you had fun doing that at least! No I've now replaced all the sway bar bushings and none of them were even in bad shape.
But I'll try what you suggested now that the sway bar is not attached. (I've done that before on other vehicles and never been able to see any movement...but I'll give it a shot) hopefully it yields something.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom