Climate control? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Can someone describe what this is?

I hear it mentioned in regards to LX450's and the 40th anniv. editions.

How does it differ from regular ac?

It differs from the regular systems in that the climate control is crap and usually doesn't work real well.

It's like setting the thermostat in your house. The idea is you set it at a certain temp and the climate control keeps it there. In the 80's that have it though - it's completely useless and you can't retrofit the non-cc version in there. :mad:

8-0,

The option is Automatic Climate Control.  Its purpose is to cools & maintain a preset temperature (when it operates properly).  When engaged by using the 'Auto' button, the inside temp(or preset temp - not sure which one is taken)  & ambient temp are compared so that the circulation mode is chosen accordingly (i.e. if ambient temp is higher, then the outside vent is closed).  The fan speeds also differs; could be pretty high at first, and then slow down as the inside temp is reaching the desired temp.  You would also feels that the compressor is kicking ON & OFF once in a while (as oppose to always ON in manual mode).

Hope this helps,
Frank.

P.S: You could ALWAYS manually override the AUTO mode!!!

8-0,

In the US, the climate control was standard on all LX450's (96 & 97) and on the Land Cruiser 40th and CE options that were available in 97 only.

-B-

I've got it and unlike others, find it totally usuable. It works in auto or manual mode and with the exception of it setting itself to auto every time you start the truck, it works fine and I don't fiddle with it much at all. In my manual 930 I'm working all the freaking knobs and switches and sliders all the time...

my $.02

I'm with tiorio; I like it much better than any manually operated heat/cool control I've had on other vehicles. It works flawlessly on my CE. Only "catch" is that you: a) select the auto button (not hard to do...), then b) don't do anything else but move the temperature slider to select the temperature you want. For some strange reason :p my wife is incapable of learning this behavior and is always complaining that it doesn't work right, after having hit every button she can reach on the dash. So I do a, then b, and it's fine. :D

Tom

I echo Todd and Tom's comments in their entirety....mine works flawlessly on the '96 LX...Just set 'auto' and move the slider..

I'm with Todd, Tom, and bkgii on this one. If you only adjust the temp control slider and leave everything else as is, it works great. Only if you need extremes (highest or lowest fan setting) or if you need to use defrost or something then go for partial manual control. Works great for me!

I have to agree with Junk. Did I just say that? Mine is for crap. There is too much variation in the temps and there is no consistency in the way it adjusts for those temps. Maybe with all the junk I have in there the aitflow to the sensors is screwed up but I end up riding down the road with one hand on the slider. I much prefer the systems where you set the AC fan speed and add a little heat from a separate dial or slider.
Bill

I have to agree with Junk. Did I just say that? Mine is for crap. There is too much variation in the temps and there is no consistency in the way it adjusts for those temps. Maybe with all the junk I have in there the aitflow to the sensors is screwed up but I end up riding down the road with one hand on the slider. I much prefer the systems where you set the AC fan speed and add a little heat from a separate dial or slider.
Bill
Sorry Photo, but I had to quote you agreeing with me, in case you edited your post I wanted to keep it. :D Yeah, mine is the same way.

Garbage! When it's hot outside it always goes to recirc when I restart, but I rarely have the AC on, so I get very hot duct air full blast. Every time I restart I have to hit the recirc button, squint in the bright sunlight to see if it switched (lights on, switches dimmed). I hate running the AC around town. Other than that, it's pretty good. I've been planning to try the manual control head from my wife's 80, are you sure it wouldn't just plug in? I remember seeing extra plugs wrapped with the control head wiring, similar but a little shorter. I toyed with swapping lockers with my wife's plain 80 just to get rid of the cc (I get the lockers). She runs AC year-round, windows open in the summer, it wouldn't matter to her.

Scott, I remember talk on the 80's list that it wasn't swappable. I took that as a definite answer although maybe I shouldn't. Then again, the same folks said I couldn't run 36's and am, so maybe it is. I'll let you try, then if it works, get a manual unit too. ;) :D

For what it is worth, both my 40th and my sister's 40th have properly operating climate controls. Neither is extremely accurate - as to the temperature setting - but I do not think it was intended to be all that accurate. In any case, they both work... such as it is.

Cheers, R -

Yeah, I remember that non-swappable talk.  I think it was because the associated sensors and such on the CC truck would be too difficult to swap, which is what I was asking about.  I suspect the non-CC head would work in a truck with all the sensors, just would ignore them.  The CC actually works increadibly well compared to my old Audi CC, this can be "dumbed down" to nearly manual control.  I just get frustrated with having to dumb it down every time I start the truck if I don't want it in recirc on a hot day.  If I left it in auto all the time, and never opened the windows, it'd be acceptable.  Not sure how long the AC would last, but the power windows would get a break. It works well in the winter.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom