Cleaning up cruiser badges (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Picked up some badges for my 75 fj45 and wanted to clean them up before putting them on, any ideas?

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1441360741.129227.jpg

Got some paint on them which I want to get off, and I want to repaint the original black areas. What not to do/use?

being old school i use a soft wire wheel and laquer thinner to remove paint and clean them up .sometimes with the wheel solvent is not used.when paint is gone i polish them with mag cleaner or some other stuff i steal from my kids

Start by cleaning well - use paint stripper if needed to get old paint off. Buff the chrome lightly with 0000 steel wool. Mask the upper area, and paint the words 'Land Cruiser' with a couple coats of satin black spray paint. Before it's all solidly dry, very gently wipe off the tops of the letters with a solvent-soaked rag (not a fluffy rag). Use an aggressive solvent like chlorinated brake cleaner or lacquer thinner. Be very gentle and wipe carefully. If you dork it up, you can spray paint again. Maybe use a Q-tip if you need precision wiping here and there.

Satin black seems to provide just a little sheen without looking cheesy.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom