Classic cruiser sm465 (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I'm just purchased a ouput shaft from classic cruisers for my sm465. What is involved in diassembling the sm465 to put the new shaft in, and what other parts do I have to order to put the new shaft in the tranny. I'm going to try to take the shaft out tomorrow. Has anyone done this before? Youre help would be greatly appreciated.

I can't answer your question about how difficult it is to change out the output shaft in the SM-465, but I have a question for you on the same subject. How many splines on the output shaft do you need? &nbsp:Do you have the old output shaft? How many splines does it have? I have a SM-465 with the 35 splines and need the 10 spline output shaft. Would you by chance have what I need??

Thanks........

Tazman

He bought a 10 spline shaft from classic cruiser. If you need a 10 spline I got mine at a place called Bay Shore Trucking for a little less than $100. Here is the number, 559-485-7278. What you want is the 10 spline 4wd output shaft, they only made one. Hope this helps

;)i have a classic cruisers shaft with the 10 spline output,never installed it cause i went with the advance adapters stuff.its for sale.if you want it let me know.im in canada.

Tazman, The shaft I'm taking out is a 10 spline. Drop me a email I'll sell it cheap, I'll have no use for it as soon as I get the new one. Wish I would have known about the shaft the other guy has, oh well. Thanks

The "output" shaft is the main shaft. You'll have to pretty much take the whole tranny apart, but it's easy and mostly logical. You'll need a manual though to get through it in one try. (For example, you have to push the reverse fork halfway through its travel before you pull the shift tower off. There are a couple of other "steps" that a good manual will mention to make it easier.)

The main shaft has sintered iron sleeves pressed onto it. If your new shaft doesn't come with them you'll have to buy new ones; you can't get the old ones off without breaking them. (At least it's pretty hard to do.) So as long as you'll have it apart, maybe you should spring for a rebuild kit (bearings, retainer rings, seals, syncros, gaskets)??

If the new shaft has the sleeves, you COULD just put it all back together with the old parts.

Here's a link to a parts diagram of the sm465:
http://www.geocities.com/chevroletc1070/

Thank all of you for your responses. I have sent E-mails asking about the 10 spline shafts.

Tazman

www.novak-adapt.com

these guys have a great write-up on the 465 and what sleaves are the ones that wear out.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom