Churn Creek wheeling May 21-23, 2011 - May Long Weekend (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

See Post #5

Sounds like there'll be a convoy of four or five of you guys leaving from Chilliwack around 10:30am Friday. So, I'm guessing that'll put you in Clinton around 2 or 3pm?

If you guys don't mind an addition to your convoy, I'd like to join you in Clinton. It seems there are a number of routes to Churn and the last thing I want to do is pull an Albert Chretien out there (too soon?).

Bill's map seems to indicate route 2 below, but route 1 looks like it may be a bigger road. Regardless, my getting the :princess: stranded on some far-off route might send me into a bit of a dry spell if you know what I mean.

If one of you could suggest a Clinton meeting spot I'll be sure to be there. I'll PM my cell phone # to Scalp and Fantom as it's clear to me that they're going.
Churn.png

Clinton is a one street town - park anywhere along the main drag and you will be easily found. Plan on being hot while you wait there. There are several ways to Churn (Gang Ranch) turning off from Hwy 97 north of Clinton, doesn't much matter which way you go, but Bill likes Meadow Lake FSR, which goes through the Canoe IR dropping down into the Canyon. Sometime firewood is an issue (which is abundant on the plateau), but last year there was lots around the camp site. Barry is usually the self-appointed fire-pit master so he will want about 5 cords per night.

Plan on being hot while you wait there.

That doesn't sound pleasant. You might find my truck empty and me napping in the shade under a nearby tree with my handheld VHF by my side.

Barry is usually the self-appointed fire-pit master so he will want about 5 cords per night.
That sounds warm. I have an axe but no chainsaw for wood. Got a pick and a pike though if Mat's still wanting to see about blazing some trail.

Since we are all leaving from different locations and likely at different times, a realistic goal of 14:00-16:00 in Clinton is about as much as we can narrow it down. For those that have never been there (Greg and anyone else), let us know so we can wait for you in Clinton. Greg, we're good, I've got you phone number so we'll be in touch, Clinton is small so I don't think we'll have any issues finding another Cruiser. If anyone else is coming please be in town around those times (earlier is better) or get in touch with one of us already going to make sure we know who you are, when you'll be there, etc.
Robert (FlyCruiser) is heading up Saturday around 10ish departure from Maple Ridge, if anyone else is interested in heading up Saturday, you can get in touch with him.
Glenn, I left you a message but just to be on the safe side - I will not be meeting up with you at Lickman road, Craig and I will head out of PoCo and keep on Hwy 7, we can meet in Hope (makes more sense and less road travel that way).

I now won't be able to make it. Have to work until late tomorrow and need to recoup after a long run of 12-14 hour days.

Good luck on opening up the road to the new spot.

No cell phone service in Clinton, unless it's changed over the years. I have a buddy who lives there and has to always call me on a land line.

No cell phone service in Clinton, unless it's changed over the years. I have a buddy who lives there and has to always call me on a land line.

This is Rogers anyway. I guess times have changed.
Untitled.png

Rough Itinerary

Proceed to Chilliwack - Glenn, Bill and Gary meet up (and others) for fuel at Lickman.Rd.
10:45 to 11:00 am
Proceed to Hope to meet Matt and Craig about 12:00 pm
Proceed to Clinton to meet Greg about 3:00 - 3:30pm - last chance fuel and supplies (expensive).
Churn by 5:30 pm or thereabouts.
Set up camp, eat, drink, and BS and be merry from then on

Meh gonna have to pass on this one, gonna be in Manitoba of all places :(

So you don't worry and call in the search crews...unlikely I will be there tomorrow night. I've been hit with a few extra things this last week, and it may simply be a trip to Deka and back.

gb

Ferries are heavy this weekend...

Well I hit the ferry terminal at about 5:00 am this morning and the ferry was 77% full !!. Its the busiest ferry weekend of the year so I thought I would get here early. Its going to be along day for me - I left my house at 4:30 am. I was surprised how warm and light out it was.

Did any of you see that partial horse/cow skeleton just off the right side of the road maybe 2/3's of the way towards HWY 97? That thing looked pretty fresh when I went by on Sunday. The head and all the flesh was missing so I couldn't tell what it was.

No pictures?

Sadly, and lamely, no. The camera was all packed up when I saw it and I didn't get it out. I knew it felt dirty as I was doing it and I humbly apologize for my indescribable transgression.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom