Churn Creek wheeling May 21-23, 2011 - May Long Weekend (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Here's a few pics from the Churn trip:
Horseshoes2.jpg
Horseshoes.jpg
DeerLeg.jpg

Depends if the bush is of the 70's variety or not.

Worried about the outhouse at -35 degrees below zero? Try this heated outhouse!:rolleyes:

I think you got it backwards, Bill. The furnace burns the methane coming out of the outhouse. :p

Oh right, the biogas is burned in the furnace, so it doesn't add greenhouse gas to the neighbourhood. Guess I got it bass ackwards.

Last edited:
smoke house

That second link has many interesting locations we should possibly add to our list of places to explore on our next and third

'most excellent adventue' to the Chilcotin.

Yes, now that it's June, it's time to make more specific plans for this year's adventure. Gary and I are thinking of going to William's Lake on June 30 so that we can take in the William's Lake Parade and Rodeo on July 1. Then meet others at McIntire Rec site that evening.

CHURN CREEK AND ENVIRONS MAY 20-23, 2011.

Up early on a sunny Friday morning, May 20, Gary T and Bill W headed east on Highway 1 to fuel up on Lickman Road Flying J and meet Glenn B from Victoria and Mike McT. Moving on from there toward Hope, we could hear Mat R on Channel 4, along with Craig E, across the Fraser on Highway 7, also heading toward Hope. Our little convoy came together over milkshakes in Hope with Barry P and Laughlin H, plus Chris H and Conner. We moved on from there up the Fraser Canyon and stopped for lunch at Hungry Herbies in Cache Creek. While in Hungry Herbies, Barry proceeded to administer Air Canada first aid to an old fellow who looked about 90, who had confusedly staggered out of the washroom with a bleeding elbow. That good deed done, and with stomachs sufficiently stuffed with greasy mushroom burgers, we headed north on Highway 97 toward Clinton for the final fuel stop.

Our convoy by now included Gary T, Glenn B, Mat R, Barry P, Chris H, Craig E, Bill W, and new arrivals Greg & Lindsay in their HDJ81. We turned west on to Meadow Lake Road, past Beaver Dam Campsite, on to Canoe Creek and finally reached the High Bar Fraser Road along the Canyon. The arid landscape of the Canyon was greener than usual, due to the long wet spring this year. We crossed the Gang Ranch bridge by 5:30 and met Mike McT who was already there and wondering why we took so long. The Fraser is higher and muddier than usual from this late melt. Lots of trees and debris in the water. The Churn campsite was great, and we got a fire going right away after Mat found some firewood, Mike sawed it, and Bill split it. Later, Chris H and Barry P cut and hauled a huge amount of wood in their BJ40’s. The weather was sunny and warm, no wind and best of all, no mosquitoes. However, for the first time, we found deer ticks, much to our dismay. Those critters have to be watched and dealt with, otherwise nasty diseases such as Lyme’s Disease, can be transmitted. Use insect repellent, wear light coloured clothes to easilly see the critters, and get prompt medical attention if they become imbedded in your skin with a coloured bull's eye ring. Carefully remove the tick without squishing it, and send it to a lab for analysis for Lyme's. If positive, get on antibiotics without delay.

Saturday morning, most of the guys headed up past the Gang Ranch and on to the secret road digging project. Meanwhile, Rob Cz arrived this morning, pretty tired after working all Friday night, then directly driving to Churn. The road crew worked their guts out all day, hacking and picking that hillside, but the project was too much to complete this time around. They collapsed around the campfire and Mat and Rob were soon sound asleep in their campfire chairs, oblivious to the wonderful fire and tall tales.

Up until this point, the weather had been picture perfect; warm, sunny, dry, and very enjoyable. However all that changed about 3 a.m. Sunday morning. I woke up to the sound of heavy rain on the roof of my BJ74. Oh well, I figured, it’ll stop by morning. How wrong I was, for it poured right through until 11:00 a.m. Sunday and the campsite became a sea of slimy mud gumbo. We reluctantly packed up our muddy gear and decided to head for Gaspard Lake, where maybe the rain would let up. The roads were slippery and slimy, and we needed 4 WD just to track straight. We took some short cuts and Mat was up front with his chainsaw, clearing the way. Our trucks became encased in greasy mud, making visibility difficult.

We found the most gorgeous campsite, a little peninsula on Gaspard Lake, to spend Sunday night. It was still raining, but we erected tarps and bedded down for the evening. Our spirits were lifted by Mat's Polish vodka and jalapeno peppers with feta cheese, plus the most magnificent jumbo prawns that Rob supplied. At one point we were visited by Mike & Juliette Elvin, who run Chilco Choate Lodge, further along Gaspard Lake. Coordinates 51 28'.3N, 122 49.6'W. They have a small clay airplane landing strip and offer fishing/ hunting wilderness services. Good people to know and visit.

We visited their acreage Monday and it sort of reminded us of John Lampard’s homestead on the Mackenzie Trail last year. There were lots of old cabins and structures, plus numerous old vehicles such as that Unimog with the most gigantic mechanical winch we’ve ever seen for a small vehicle. Lots of photo ops there. They are an outgoing friendly couple and invited us to come back for the night if we couldn’t make it over the mountains. Nobody seemed in a hurry to make it home today, so we carried on in the muddy wilderness, crossing mud bogs and swollen creeks most of the day. At one point we had to cross a dilapidated old bridge over a quicksand bog. After some hasty bridge renovations, we all made it over the structure, although some had to be winched for safety. The gumbo mud is slippery and we fishtailed and slid sideways most of the day while trying to keep our windshields clean enough to see out of. We hit snow at the higher elevations, sometimes as deep as a foot and a half. Tough going, but we made it.

About 2:00 p.m. we came out at the Gaspard FSR and made a decision. Gary and Bill decided to take the Gaspard FSR back to the Gang Ranch and head for home. The rest of the crew decided to carry on in the direction of Mud Lakes and Swartz Lake. So that’s the end of my trip report, I’ll leave it to Mat to take up from here. :cheers:

~Bill

Last edited:
I'm confused, where were the strippers?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom