Chunk of metal in front differential oil (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Recently bought a 92 Pickup on a whim and was changing the gear oils today when I found a chunk of gear in the front diff oil.

What's my best options for repairing? Look out for a used front diff? Or should I consider rebuilding the diff? I haven't taken the diff off to see what gear is messed up yet. I know it's probably impossible to tell from the picture but is there any indication of what gear this came off of?

Thanks!

Also forgot to mention, apparently there are ARB air lockers in the front and rear diffs. I think the compressor is broken and haven't really messed with it. Wondering how this affects how I proceed in terms of fixing the front differential. Can the air locker be transfered if I got a used complete diff?

pull the cover and inspect it. Likely ring gear. pretty sure arb parts cannot exit the arb.
you probably need a gearset. depends on the gearing whether or not you can just swap i diff.

gnob is right that you should pull it and take a look. Better to do it sooner than later or it can get even more expensive.

Yes the ARB can be installed in another diff but, the ring gear bolts to the ARB instead of the stock rotating housing. You really gain nothing getting another used diff other than used gears and bearings if you want to keep the ARB. If you are just looking to bolt something in and go without the ARB, that's different.

If you want to keep the ARB, you need to pull the diff and see what the condition of all the parts are. If the ARB itself is not damaged you may get away with a rebuild with new gears and bearings only.

Good luck with whatever you decide to do.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom