Build log UZJ100 LPG V8 "UP4500" (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
It hasn't been that long, only a year or so sitting where I left it. As a background, my dad bought this 2003 LC100 V8 in 2011 from a company owner that never went offroad with her, neither did me or my dad till recently. This car has been serviced at the local Toyota dealer but the repair bills keep going up and since I couldn't care less if this old lady was serviced at dealer or in my workshop, I'm starting this build thread to keep a log. I'm also building a İveco 80.17 military truck but the frame cab and bed is all dismantled and getting new paint coating, looking forward for next year as the progress is quite slow when there is 0 documentation/technical specs... and what is supposed to be there.

A brief history of the UP4500: In 2014 converted to natural gas (LPG) with a 80 litre tank where the spare wheel is, rebuilt the motor 2 years ago at 440k km, now its at ~480k km. Last time I used it I had an emergency road trip of 2k km, drove most way with CC fixed at 170km/h. Overfilled the engine oil by 4-5 times the max. line, did a oil change on side of road after 15 min driving and sudden realization of what I've done, thought I messed up the bearings and rods but its still in prime condition. Funny if I overfilled oil my audi by a mililitre it would self-destruct but 2uz just didn't care being submerged in oil.

Currently:
Engine: New battery in and fired up on the 2nd crank, quite a lot of white smoke when I revved it, minimal to none white smoke when idling, maybe this is because of the gasoline that has gone bad, when I switched it to LPG there is 0 smoke even redlining it so thats good. Engine seems to be in good condition, will empty the old fuel and get new fuel so I can be sure the smoke is fuel related.

Suspension: Having been parked for nearly a year is not good for the AHC I see. The globes were brand new before I rested the car, tested the pump with direct voltage and it seems to work. The AHC OFF is flashing and stuck in lo height, althought I'm way lower than lo standard height. I ordered MVCI cable from Aliexpress, saw the whole Techstream AHC ABC thread and will certainly read it along with Toyota service manuals.

On the list of things I need a ARB like front bumper, I'm unsure if I will buy one or build a tubular one from scratch in my workshop. Planning to do a sensor lift for AHC once I get new wheels and mud terrain tyres. For the engine I thought about TRD s/c but it would be a nightmare to run with natural gas with the tiny 2uz rods waiting to be freed.

Interior needs a little love, headliner is sagging in boot area and leather seats are cracked, I have a guy who can do all thoose in a week so its not a priority but def on the list.

In the meantime, please let me know of your thoughts and knowledge, btw Im a marine engineer with near zero experience on this car and recently discovered this forum.

photo_2023-10-24_13-49-17.jpg

So you were actually able to fill the engine with +/-9 gallons of oil??

So you were actually able to fill the engine with +/-9 gallons of oil??
I remember it was around 15 liters of oil in the engine, somewhere around 4? gallons. The engine burned some of the oil through the exhaust as there were residues all over the rear tailgate. I drove for 15 mins at 160kmh and it was running on natural gas at the time.
It was a case of miscomunication and wrong assumptions mixed with exhaustion and fatigue.

Update: I couldn't get the TechStream to work so for now I use my OBD scanner and I recieved the below codes. Both the front and rear are on bumpstops, I raised the front and rear with winches and height sensors are giving readings, I also tried the Control Test by shorting the E1 and LC pins which I did and the whole dash lit up like christmas tree but I couldn't force the tests according to the FSM.

Active Codes:
C1731 Height Control Solenoid Front Gate Circuit
C1732 H" C" S" Front Leveling Circuit
C1733 H" C" S" Rear Gate Circuit
C1734 H" C" S" Rear Leveling Circuit

If anyone had a similar experience where after car sat for a year and came back and saw this, what steps would your recommend?

photo_2023-12-12_09-49-15.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom