Check your nuts! (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

yngmrostrvile

GOLD Star
Threads
Wheel nuts.
Never assume. I had a tire plugged by discount back in July. Assumed it was good n tight. Went on a 3700 mi tour from KCK to Nash to MA n back to KC. After hitting some big mud puddles in WV I started hearing a noise turning left. Figured it was mud n crud. Washed the vehicle in MA "thoroughly" headed to NH for some fun but noise was still there. Thought that I needed rear pads and Id do them when I got back to KC.
Went to replace pads accompanied by Boulevard dooblee ipa and found the wheel that discount took off was not torqued properly.
On the bright side... nice set of pads already on the rear. GG?
I usually check the wheel nut torque as a final thing to check before a road trip. Like the night before. I am preparing for a week in SW CO so I was checkin boxes.
Check your nuts before a trip. This could have ended a lot worse.
I break all my nuts loose by hand and then power them off.
When I turned wrenches I had a jeep come back because a wheel came off. I checked Mitchell for wheel nut torque because Chrysler didnt have a spec on their portal. IVE ALWAYS BEEN ANAL ABOUT WHEEL NUT TORQUE.
Check them before you leave.

20211012_202927.jpg

20211012_184412.jpg

Torquing then to the FSM 97 ft-lbs is critical for the 100. I used to find my nuts loose all the time when I had only made them “very tight” using the factory wrench. One time one wheel had 4/5 that could spin by hand!

Now I always torque to FSM spec. I still check my nuts regularly at gas stops but have not had a problem since.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom