Check VGRS System Light (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Battery looks good and healthy. Alternator would be harder to check. Was the dash showing any battery symbols prior to pooping out?

Usually the battery will regulate and prop up voltage even as the alternator is failing. So odd that the battery is still doing so well. Check the ground straps on the car. Particularly the ground at the battery terminal but also the ground on the other end of that same wire to the fender. It may also be some other ground strap in the system - alternator ground, ECU ground, etc.

Last edited:
Battery looks good and healthy. Alternator would be harder to check. Was the dash showing any battery symbols prior to pooping out?

Hmm... Can't remember, possibly, I do recall prior the truck shutting off a red icon may have lit. Was busy trying to get the vehicle off to the right of the freeway, so can't be positive.

Anyone happen to know a trust indy who is open on Memorial Day in the Seattle eastside?

Labor Day morning and I made a dozen calls to shops and dealerships, all closed. Finally found a local indy who was open to help me with the highway incident yesterday. He wasn't sure if the alternator was the cause, so he gave me some suggestions to try.

Checked battery again with voltmeter with vehicle off: 12.61V
Checked battery with car running: 14.12V

Per tech, first line reading means the battery is healthy; 2nd line reading means the alternator is still good (normally should run high 13.x to low 14Vs)

He then said to check the connections to the car battery for corrosion; I checked, no corrosion. He then said to check to see if the battery connections were loose. At first they felt tight, then I tried pulling UP the two battery cables, and behold, the black (negative) connector was loose! Tightened both connections super tight, took a 15min drive around the neighborhood, and everything seemed ok. No loss of power, no dashboard dimming, no warning lights.

Keeping fingers crossed that the loose battery connection was the cause of the engine and electrical loss.

Still not sure what caused the "Check VGR system" message; hopefully the loose battery connection was the cause.

Last edited:
You should grab some sand paper and clean the battery cable connectors where they attach to the battery posts when you get the chance.
I'm hoping you put the bracket back over the top of the new battery. Kinda need that.

PDoyle is right. Also, “super tight” is counterproductive on these. They aren’t intended to go very tight.. so the metal is pretty thin. Then when people overtighten them the terminal deforms and makes it so it’ll never really clamp well on the tapered post.

The trick is to make sure the nut is backed all the way off, pry the terminal open with a flat blade screwdriver, then push the terminal all the way down onto the tapered post. This pushes it to the fattest part. Now tighten it snug, not tight. It’s a tiny little bolt for good reason. It will not come loose if the terminal is in good shape and on the correct part of the post.

Also if you have those fabric terminal corrosion rings pull those off. They space the terminal up and make it harder to get good contact.

"Check VGRS System" message came on again this morning when I started the truck.

I purchased Techstream, and was able to get a code: C15A9 "Lock Holder Deviation Detection"

I was able to clear the code. Does anyone know what this code means?

Last edited:
"Check VGRS System light came on again"

I purchased Techstream, and was able to get a code: C15A9 "Lock Holder Deviation Detection"

I was able to clear the code. Does anyone know what this code means?

How long did it take to come back after the initial reset? What’s the age of the battery? A lot of electrical gremlins surface with low battery voltage and a bad battery.

this may be of some help: C15a9 Lexus - Lock Holder Deviation Detection

BB49D0DE-F2B4-4E9B-90FE-72181A9E4273.png

How long did it take to come back after the initial reset? What’s the age of the battery? A lot of electrical gremlins surface with low battery voltage and a bad battery.

this may be of some help: C15a9 Lexus - Lock Holder Deviation Detection

Thanks for the post.

Message came on 4-5 weeks after the reset. The battery is very new, a few months perhaps. Got it new from Costco. I took a voltmeter to the battery a few weeks ago and it measured 12.61V with the car off.

I did a quick search, and it looks like the Lexus LS also has a similar type steering system. A LS owner had this same message come up, and the steering actuator needed to be replaced. Holy smokes, a $2-3k job!

When steering and driving, I don't feel there is a steering issue. Funny how this all started when a local indy replaced the steering rack. This indy claims the steering rack replacement and the actuator are not related.

Edit: I saw this link: http://zatonevkredit.ru/repair_manuals/raw_content/RM1000000019HQZ.xml

So perhaps some sort of calibration is needed? Something I can myself with Techstream? Find another indy? Or just reset the code as needed?

Last edited:
Well the plot thickens. If shop did the steering rack I’d start checking for loose Electrical connections that may be related To their work. How many miles on your truck?

Well the plot thickens. If shop did the steering rack I’d start checking for loose Electrical connections that may be related To their work. How many miles on your truck?

Just passed 120k miles.

I repeatedly asked the owner of said indy. He was adamant that if the message reappears, the entire steering column needed to be replaced, and quoted me $3k for the job. He also claims them replacing the steering rack has nothing to do with the "Check VGR System" message.

Is it true what this shop said, replacement of the entire steering rack has nothing to do with the error code?

They are two separate parts, but the shaft literally goes out of the VGRS module into the steering rack, so I don’t know that it’s truly accurate to say they are unrelated. If something was done incorrectly on the rack installation I could see it causing problems with the VGRS but I’m definitely not an expert.

Hey guys, got an alignment yesterday and now my "Check VGRS System" message is popping up. Hooked up Techstream and getting a C1591:

1603554081787.png

Found this online:

1603553840318.png

Suggestions on a fix?

First thing to do pull cables off battery let it sit for 30 min or so.

First thing to do pull cables off battery let it sit for 30 min or so.

Thanks for the reply!

I did the battery thing yesterday. I left it disconnected for a while but not sure if it was a full 30 min. Do you need to do both cables or will just one suffice?

I think pos cable is all you need.

Here is the Link to perform the calibration. I suspect both @Docboy and @BigMF need to have this done. The shops that did the alignment most likely disturbed the linkage enough to require it. This is where I would start.

Thanks for sharing. Upon seeing @BigMF 's post, I agree with suspicion. I too believe the aligment shop disturbed some sort of setting. Too much of a coincidence for both of us to get similar messages after getting the steering aligned.

And to think the indy I took my truck to wants to charge me $3k to fix the error!!

I was able to turn off the error message with Techstream, and have since noticed my steering wheel is off-centered relative to truck going straight.

Has anyone tried this fix before? Where does one find the V13 Wire Harness, and how does one:
Connect the positive (+) lead from the battery to terminal
MV (V13-10) and the negative (-) lead to terminal LGND (V13-3)

Here is the Link to perform the calibration. I suspect both @Docboy and @BigMF need to have this done. The shops that did the alignment most likely disturbed the linkage enough to require it. This is where I would start.

Hey @Snafu13F , thanks for the link. I actually poked around in Techstream until I found the utility and walked through the calibration process. The message is now gone and I'm relatively optimistic that it will stay gone. My guess (along with @Docboy is that the tech adjusted the tie rod ends and that threw off the VGRS calibration.

Thanks for the help guys!

Hey @Snafu13F , thanks for the link. I actually poked around in Techstream until I found the utility and walked through the calibration process. The message is now gone and I'm relatively optimistic that it will stay gone. My guess (along with @Docboy is that the tech adjusted the tie rod ends and that threw off the VGRS calibration.

Thanks for the help guys!

Good to hear. Did you have to "unlock the VGRS actuator" and disconnect the battery/find the V13 wire harness per the link from @Snafu13F ? Or was the calibration you did a little more straightforward?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom