Check Engine Light Flashing in 2000 TLC 100 202k miles, idling rough with tick tick... (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Everything in my 100s is current on maintenance (recently replaced timing belt for 2nd time at 199k). Engine light came on flashing when accelerating and stops at slow speeds or idle. You can hear a "tick tick tick" from manifold. Is this a misfire? Sparkplug or coil issue? I am in Houston, Texas. We had an unusual winter storm here yesterday and today, but i doubt this is weather related. Any recommendations?

I second @MDK

Depending on which PS hoses, you can easily replace them, some require more effort. Coils and plugs is very straightforward.

Update from Mike Calvert Toyota. Misfire is ignition coil, plus changing out spark plugs & tune up. Unfortunately, they recommend a few surpising repairs. The shocker to me is they say my front axle assy has to be replaced (cvs). I had Toyota OEM CVs put in Oct 2019!! Have not wheeled it that hard! The Toyota Master Tech told me the Power Steering Resevoir and hoses are leaking which is corrosive and contributed to corroding & damaging the axle boots, which i think is suspect. Anyone heard of this or have an opinion? My estimate including the misfire, power steering system replaced plus axle comes to $4k!! is this right or should i get a second opinion?
ATF has corrosion inhibitors, which are incredibly effective. Science says so: Error - Cookies Turned Off - https://onlinelibrary.wiley.com/doi/abs/10.1002/ls.1422

Update from Mike Calvert Toyota. Misfire is ignition coil, plus changing out spark plugs & tune up. Unfortunately, they recommend a few surpising repairs. The shocker to me is they say my front axle assy has to be replaced (cvs). I had Toyota OEM CVs put in Oct 2019!! Have not wheeled it that hard! The Toyota Master Tech told me the Power Steering Resevoir and hoses are leaking which is corrosive and contributed to corroding & damaging the axle boots, which i think is suspect. Anyone heard of this or have an opinion? My estimate including the misfire, power steering system replaced plus axle comes to $4k!! is this right or should i get a second opinion?
While your vehicle may or may not need all these things replaced, $4K is laughable. Based on my experience (not Toyota) I don't have allot of love for dealerships. They business seems to be based around charging way to much to car owners who trust them.

While your vehicle may or may not need all these things replaced, $4K is laughable. Based on my experience (not Toyota) I don't have allot of love for dealerships. They business seems to be based around charging way to much to car owners who trust them.
I 1000% agree here @bgolf247. I usually go with a different Toyota dealership for major parts and replacement, because i prefer to go w/ OEM Toyota parts everywhere i can afford to. This time i was worried about the check engine light and rough idling, and due to the winter storm event in South Texas, I opted to go with the Dealership 2 miles away vs. the one i know better and have a relationship with. But these recommendations, most notably the CV axle assembly full replacement, only after replacing my CVs that last almost 20 years in 2019 with OEM Toyota parts. for them to need replacing because the boots are leaking? The drivability is fine. I am all for paying for preventive maintenance. What i have decided to do here is get a 2nd opinion from someone i trust more. I will likely be bringing it back to Toyota if the axles need replacement. I agree with many others who replied here i need to roll my sleeves up, look at some you tube videos for the PS hoses, spark plugs and coil. This is an awesome forum and i really get a lot of good info and recs here. Love my Cruiser people!

I 1000% agree here @bgolf247. I usually go with a different Toyota dealership for major parts and replacement, because i prefer to go w/ OEM Toyota parts everywhere i can afford to. This time i was worried about the check engine light and rough idling, and due to the winter storm event in South Texas, I opted to go with the Dealership 2 miles away vs. the one i know better and have a relationship with. But these recommendations, most notably the CV axle assembly full replacement, only after replacing my CVs that last almost 20 years in 2019 with OEM Toyota parts. for them to need replacing because the boots are leaking? The drivability is fine. I am all for paying for preventive maintenance. What i have decided to do here is get a 2nd opinion from someone i trust more. I will likely be bringing it back to Toyota if the axles need replacement. I agree with many others who replied here i need to roll my sleeves up, look at some you tube videos for the PS hoses, spark plugs and coil. This is an awesome forum and i really get a lot of good info and recs here. Love my Cruiser people!

Oh man you can definitely change coils and plugs it's so easy. The CV reboot is a lot more involved but still not hard. It's messy though, but I can't see how they failed that quick. Is there a hole in the boot?

PS hoses should be dead simple as well.

$4,000 holy s***.

So 2 OEM cvs could be $800
8 denso coils about $800?
PS hoses $50?

So around $2000 in labor! Wow. All that would probably take 3 hours in a shop. Probably take me 5 hours in the garage.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom