Cheap(er) Custom storage tailgate (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Long time listener, first time caller :)

For a while now, I've really wanted one of the aqualu storage tailgates, but I'm always stunned by how expensive it is, and can never justify the cost ($675!!!). So i've been rocking a tailgate panel for a year or two, which does the job, but barely so. So a couple weeks ago, I asked myself the question: Can I make my own and have it cost half as much? Yes I can!

Before we begin, a couple notes:
- My rig is not a garage queen nor anything resembling a stock 40. It's my fun rig that I roll on the weekends that I pretty much saved from the crusher. Nothing that I do to my rig is expected to be perfect, and I'll probably hand it over to my kids, so I'm not worried about devaluing it
- When I bought it, I told myself that I wanted to do all of the work on it myself. There has been some limitations, but with my rig, I've learned to weld. I've learned how to build exhausts, paint, etc.
- ill be using some items/tools that I already have on hand, so don't expect everything to be in the budget

So. a $300 or less budget. I started with a purchase at my local metal supermarkets:

itemsizecost
1.500 X 1.500 X 0.125 ST STRUCTURAL TUBE SQUARE
52​
50​
0.120 ST SHEET STEEL SHEET42x15
83.56​

Then I put in an amazon order for some hinges and latches

latches
39.95​
hinges
52.95​

All of that came in last week I got to work. I didn't think to document this procedure until I was halfway in, so i apologize for the missing photos.

1. welded the sheet directly to the rig so that it wouldn't move and cut out some holes for the hinges
  2. The PO welded a 2x2 square tube to the rear body to account for some rust. I just welded a steel rod to the tube to make it flush with the rest of the body, and drilled and tapped some holes for bolts to hold the hinges in place
  3. finally got to use my cheap plasma cutter to cut out the holes for the latches. they're not very straight, but it got better as i went. in the photo you'll see that one is much worse than the other. I'll end up cleaning them up with a grinder at some point
  4. cut the square tube into sections, and split them in half to make the container of the storage section and keep the tailgate rigid
PXL_20210424_194702430.jpg

Finished the work on the storage sides, and drilled holes to mount the latches. I mounted the latches and hinges to see what it would look like and it looks awesome! Forgive the messiness of the rig. Its serving as storage at the moment :)

PXL_20210424_201929809.jpg

Cut out some backing plates with some steel that I had on hand, and welded some square nuts onto it. then split more of the square tube to make catches for the latches, and attached them to the rig. The holes are oversized, so I'll have some adjustability. I also found some rubber stoppers in the garage, and used those to stop any ratting of the tailgate
PXL_20210425_190615013.jpg
PXL_20210425_190601909.jpg
PXL_20210425_190558192.jpg
PXL_20210425_190504003.jpg

Still waiting on the tailgate cables to arrive so haven't mounted those yet. I also need to get some steel for the door, as well as hinges and a latch to keep it closed. I'm at $258.52 for all the supplies so far, and have $41.48 left, so I've got to be a bit stingy to stay under budget. More to come soon.

Tailgate cables came in! They're a little short, but I think the way they're mounted will work. I drilled the holes, and will end up making backing plates for them just like the latch brackets. I'm pretty happy with how they look.

Also welded together some 14 gauge steel sheets to make the inside of the tailgate. Welded them on, then cut out a section that will be for the door.

PXL_20210428_174343585.MP.jpg
PXL_20210428_201800681.jpg

Ordered a hinge for the door and a push button latch, and I'm officially at my budget cap for the tailgate. Everything else that I use will need to be items that I find in the garage. i'm pretty close to having everything that I needed, so I'm going to pre-emptively say this was a success. Latch came in today, hinge should be delivered in a few days. I think i'll be done soon!
PXL_20210428_201837778.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom