craigslist Charlotte/Belmont Warning Seller Falsely Advertising (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Year
Vehicle Model
  1. 60 Series
Mileage
Color
rgb(122, 109, 109)
Friends, please be wary of the seller of a 1990 FJ62. He is located in Belmont, NC, just outside of Charlotte. He had a Craigslist ad (since removed) advertising his cruiser. My brother in law (BIL) checkout out the vehicle yesterday and had a handshake agreement to purchase the truck by the afternoon. Seller was asking $15,000 but agreed to $13,000 for my BIL.

I was beginning a message to mud to get y'all's opinion on price/condition etc. of the truck before I planned to help BIL complete the purchase today (Sunday). While discussing the truck last night, my BIL and I discovered through Carfax that the cruiser was in a major accident in 2013 and was declared a total loss. Not surprising that any accident to a vehicle of this age would create a total loss declaration. What was surprising is that the seller had a clean title, was advertising and marketing the car as though it had never been in an accident, was in pristine, mostly original condition, and was asking a commensurate price.

Because seller DID NOT advertise this accident and in fact swore up and down the vehicle was "perfect", we were disappointed. When we brought this discrepancy to seller's attention he pleaded innocence and shock/surprise at our discovery. We began a discussion around a price reduction, but he shut that down quickly as he claimed to have a back-up buyer at $15,000. So that is why I'm posting this - I would hate for someone else to pay $15k (which seems high to me anyway) and not have the true facts about the car.

So we walked away, and I'm hoping that the "backup buyer" or the next person after that checks mud and carfax and knows what kind of truck they are dealing with.

My BIL received a story about the truck's history during his negotiations who can say what is fact and what is fiction after the carfax discovery. What I do know is that it has around 250,000 miles. Craigslist ad was removed, but I am posting some pictures we got from seller and the carfax. Finally, hope this is helpful and not seen as an attack on seller. Don't know him, never met him. And unfortunately no way to know his knowledge level about the cruiser or his intentions.

PS - deleted Craigslist link: https://charlotte.craigslist.org/cto/d/belmont-1990-land-cruiser/7195587686.html

IMG_2299.JPG
IMG_2296.JPG
IMG_2297.JPG
IMG_2320.png
IMG_2321.png

JT3FJ62G9L1121035

Same VIN but wrong pictures.

Rig has been seen before. Maybe PO is on mud to help you.

I did hours or research before neglecting to buy this rig. It's a bummer... and worth noting the VIN is correct. I took a picture from the windshield. What I found that made it "uneasy" is that there's a loophole in NY, which makes it possible to avoid title updates. Per google: if a vehicle is over 8 years old, then damage reported as a Total Loss is not required to be re-titled. Further, occasionally, older vehicles show extremely low values. There's a chance that Total Loss payout would be maximum, but the owner opts to buy-back the vehicle for salvaged price. At this point, who knows... we were just hoping that the other buyer would see this to know what he's getting. It would certainly take a toll on any resale perceived value - just as it did for myself.
-overall, the rig did drive and show decently other than an active leak from the oil pan. It was not rust-free, as first advertised, being found under the front drivers light, rear passenger door, and hood (still minimal). It's also worth noting the seller was surprisingly honest with honoring the original price after receiving a higher offer. I don't believe he knew the history and quickly got to the point of escape - he just wanted out.

we hope this helps someone at some point! Cheers, the BIL

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom