Centering Steering Wheel (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
OK - rebuilt the center arm, tie-rod ends, etc. and now that everything is put back together and my steering wheel is off by a 1/4 turn to the right. Can I adjust the relay rod to get the steering wheel re-centered, or do I need to take the Pitman Arm back off and move it one way or another to get it right? I'm also hitting the upper drag link assembly when turning too far to the left. Any ideas? Thanks in advance.

I had the same problem with my steering wheel. The way I solved this problem was to loosen the steering coupler, pull the steering wheel shaft out of it, and push it back in centered and tighten the coupler back down.

[quote author=mcfj40 link=board=1;threadid=4363;start=msg32613#msg32613 date=1061060831]
I had the same problem with my steering wheel. The way I solved this problem was to loosen the steering coupler, pull the steering wheel shaft out of it, and push it back in centered and tighten the coupler back down.
[/quote]

what coupler? on the column?

MCFJ40 I did the same thing and it was

a pain in the ass. It is off a little in the other direction now and I'm too pissed off to go back and fix it now.

Fat Kid, he is referring to loosening the 4 bolts inside the body tub that holds the steering column to the body, then loosen the clamp that holds teh steering rod to the steering box, and pull back on the steering wheel. When the steering rod (attached to the steering wheel) comes out of the steering box connecter clamp, rotate in the correct direction to have it straight, then bolt everything back together TIGHTLY!

Anyone have a better way?

I would be suspect of the rod lengths. If you just replaced your ends, did you measure the length upon reassembly? By the book they should be. These measurements are from ball center to ball center.
Relay rod 827mm (32.56 in.)
Tie rod 1205mm (47.44 in.)
Drag link 855mm (33.66 in.)
Check toe in afterwards and make minor adjustment to achieve 1/8 to 3/16 toe.
Don't forget to make sure your tire pressures are correct before test driving. Mismatch will cause pull. You should be able to turn from lock to lock without binding. If steering wheel is not straight after proper steering adjustment simply remove steering wheel from shaft and turn to proper location.
I went through these steps with mine and it drove perfectly.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom