Center Diff Lock Indicator Light and ABS Light Not Working (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I did two things in quick succession.

1) I installed a new Transfer Case
2) I installed a Center Diff Lock Switch

Now, when I engage the Center Diff Lock by moving into 4WD Low range, the Indicator Light for the Diff lock and ABS do not light up. I can feel that the center diff is in reality engaged, but the lights do not come on. Also, when I press the switch to lock the Center Diff while in High Range, the indicator lights do not come on. When I press the button, I can hear a noise coming from the dash that sounds like a relay activating, but I am not sure yet if the diff is really engaged.

So, what did i do wrong here? Any ideas? Have I blown a fuse somewhere? I looked, but I could not find one that is blow. Thanks in advance for your help.

Check the CDL position sensor and wiring. You may have left it unplugged, or the sensor, which presumably came with the 'new' (assuming used) transfer case, might be faulty.

Mine did that. Whoever installed the actuator did not have it setup properly. In other words it was not engaged where it was supposed to be so it did not move the shaft to fully engage. I removed actuator, plugged it in and went to 4 low. I then manually engaged the xfer case and put it back together. Worked like it should after that

Mine did that. Whoever installed the actuator did not have it setup properly. In other words it was not engaged where it was supposed to be so it did not move the shaft to fully engage. I removed actuator, plugged it in and went to 4 low. I then manually engaged the xfer case and put it back together. Worked like it should after that

Thanks so much for responding to my question. I have some follow-up questions.
Removed the actuator?

Manually engaged the Xfer case, via the shifter in the cab?

Thanks again for your help.

Nathan

Thanks so much for responding to my question. I have some follow-up questions.
Removed the actuator?

Manually engaged the Xfer case, via the shifter in the cab?

Thanks again for your help.

Nathan

Before you do the following check the switch on the xfer case to make sure it functions.

the switch is on top of the xfer case on the front close to the front output. It’s cheap and easily removed for insp and replacement. Mine was bad but not the reason for xfer not engaging. The shift shaft that engages the low gear actuated this switch.

electric motor actuator sits on top of the xfer case, top front. 3 or 4 bolts to remove it. Once removed and plugged in shift to low. You should see/hear the actuator cycle, shut of ignition switch.

if it does not rotate or make noise check relay for power. If you have power then check at the plug on actuator. If you have power there and actuator does not move it is either dead electrical wise or gears are seized in actuator.

Then reach down into the xfer case where the actuator sits.

Move the shift rod to the low position.

You will need the rear tire jacked so you can rotate it to assist in engaging the gear in the xfer case.

Once this is done reinstall actuator with the lever in low position.

Last edited:
Before you do the following check the switch on the xfer case to make sure it functions.

the switch is on top of the xfer case on the front close to the front output. It’s cheap and easily removed for insp and replacement. Mine was bad but not the reason for xfer not engaging. The shift shaft that engages the low gear actuated this switch.

electric motor actuator sits on top of the xfer case, top front. 3 or 4 bolts to remove it. Once removed and plugged in shift to low. You should see/hear the actuator cycle, shut of ignition switch.

if it does not rotate or make noise check relay for power. If you have power then check at the plug on actuator. If you have power there and actuator does not move it is either dead electrical wise or gears are seized in actuator.

Then reach down into the xfer case where the actuator sits.

Move the shift rod to the low position.

You will need the rear tire jacked so you can rotate it to assist in engaging the gear in the xfer case.

Once this is done reinstall actuator with the lever in low position.
Thank you very much!

Going through a similar issue on a 97, no lights for ABS or center lock when in low or when pushing the dash center diff lock switch. Bought a new diff lock indicator switch in advance of diagnosis, turned out both indicator switches on the transfer case checked out OK (4low and diff lock) and the actuator is not engaging. Relay checked out fine. Just got a new actuator from UAE since I found the breather on top of the actuator was rotten and fallen off and I just did a recent deep water crossing just before the center dif lock stopped working. My question, how do you reach into the transfer case to move the shift rod? there is is only a small hole where the removable gear goes in. Is the rod in this hole and do you move it backwards toward the rear to put in the lock position? Or wouldn't it be easier to set the actuator to high gear position to make sure its not in the lock position and install since the lock is not pushed over in the transfer? Am I correct or missing something?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom