Center arm rebuild, on or off? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Bought a newer style center arm and I've ordered a rebuild kit from Robert at Heart of Texas. Should I rebuild the thing off the truck or on the truck? I've heard of problems with reassembly. Might be easier in a vise.
Someone posted somewhere (I musta been drinking) that the newer center arm mounts differently thn the old one and I'd need to fab a bracket, can do, but has anyone been down that road before? ???
Thanks,
Ed Long

dude dont even bother with stock steering

if your gonna modify anything get some powersteering action!

Must admit, I'm not really a wheeler, I run 31's and mainly a DD except to get to the deercamp or the duckblind. Gotta believe that if everything is to spec, it'll run down the road in a semi-straight line. Interested in more cush than crush.
Now back to the question...
Thanks for your opinion,
Ed Long

Ed,
Don't know about the rebuild kit you are getting, but I think that the mount stays the same most of the time. On the other hand, I had to take mine off to disassemble it. (Involved a maul as I recall). Reassembly was no biggie.

Hey, Dave. I think you told me what I need to know. I'm going to rebuild it on the bench and then install. I could go and check the mounting holes, but it's too farging cold. Headers still on the floor of the garage, but looking good!
Thanks for the reply. &nbsp:Did you use the old spring? That's what I hear most guys do.
Ed Long

Ed,
I must have reused the spring, since I just looked it up and the rebuild kit does't come with one! By the way, a propane torch will be handy for this job, too. Warm things up!

You gonna weld that muffler on, or do the clamp-on thing?

IDave

I'm going to measure the assembly on the garage floor and make a cut in my new exhaust with the ol' Sawzall. I'm also going to cut off part of the "Y" pipe and leave about an 18" piece missing. Then...Mr. Toad's Wild ride to the muffelero shop and have him weld in a new piece. I'm already running 2 1/2" pipe back to a Flomaster knockoff.
Thought I'd keep the clamps for future disassembly...no faith!!
Seems like everyone who rebuilds centerarm has a bitch of a time getting the thing back together with the new spring and resorts to the old one.
Thanks Dave,
Ed :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom