CDL on for snow??? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Poor 100 owners. Now their ability to get around on mere slippery roads is also being called into question......

DougM

IdahoDoug said:
Poor 100 owners. Now their ability to get around on mere slippery roads is also being called into question......

DougM

Bwahhaahahahahahahahaha,

FZJ80/FJ80 I have never had trouble putting around in the snow with the center unlocked, and as stated above they are so similar es situ IMO its not worth the comparison-and I have driven both extensively. To add I do notice the VC, but its effects in winter driving are negligable to me. But to the purpose of the above post-if you are asking in which engagement one should drive, I sure don't want to be on the road when you are....

BTW IdahoDoug, try the latter 100s VSC in the snow-then come back and speak up.

Robbie, I also am not a fan of ABS in snow-back to my 40 roots I guess. In fact I've never driven a vehicle with ABS until the 100, and have never owned/driven anything but Land Cruisers and one 4Skinner in my entire life sooo. Don't mind it around town, but I have much better control in a spin w/o them (i.e ABS).

FJ,

Jokin, man. We love to get a dig in on the 100s now and again - justified or not. Heh. Actually, I do like the VSC stuff as it really helps those soccer moms stay out of the ditch.....(sound of crickets and nothing else.......).

All joking aside, there will be a 100 series in our garage in the not to distant future.

Heh.

Yea after say 500-600 HG vid's you will more than likely have the extra cash on hand to buy that 100 series. Make sure to get one with traction control.
Funny how people debate the issues that are personal preferences (unles you have equiptment that has no choices). later robbie

fj803fe said:
You have GOT to be kidding me :eek:

FJ80/FZJ80 in this regard would be so f*$(#ing similar, its sickening.

I can't believe no-one is the wiser, better yet, that this thread exists.

Hmm fj803fe- I think I sense a pattern in your recent posts here. Might wanna consider decaf. ;)

The FJ80 and FZJ80 is this regard are not so similar. I spent a few years driving both in several Alaskan winters, and the viscous coupling most certainly *does* make a very noticeable difference on ice and in deep snow. The use of the center difflock button was often required on the FJ, not so on the FZJ. Road conditions were not always predictable enough to lock in advance on the FJ, and it was not the safest thing to leave the center locked at all times in the FJ because it would make you more likely to slip in turns on ice. The FZJ virtually eliminated this problem.

alaskacruiser said:
Hmm fj803fe- I think I sense a pattern in your recent posts here. Might wanna consider decaf. ;)

The FJ80 and FZJ80 is this regard are not so similar. I spent a few years driving both in several Alaskan winters, and the viscous coupling most certainly *does* make a very noticeable difference on ice and in deep snow. The use of the center difflock button was often required on the FJ, not so on the FZJ. Road conditions were not always predictable enough to lock in advance on the FJ, and it was not the safest thing to leave the center locked at all times in the FJ because it would make you more likely to slip in turns on ice. The FZJ virtually eliminated this problem.

Decaf? Whats that???? :flipoff2:

So a difference of opinion-I have found my FJ to respond well w/o center diff. It did all of yesterday morning in the eegadds of snow we got :rolleyes:. This winter is pitifull here-I remember not being able to see the house you were driving to beyond the snow banks.

It also did very well unlocked up La Plata Canyon a bit ago.
cest la vie! haha-thanks "doc"

Last edited:
fj803fe said:
Se la vie!

cest la vie... actually. But I pick nits.

My unlocked 60 does pretty well in the snow too, if it ain't packed too tightly.

This is a stretch, but quite logical in that the VC must itself be an inefficient differential for this to be the case; it must loose torque in and of itself to energy (heat) loss?

A differential of course maintains torque across two (or more) of its outputs. If a VC like this acts to supply closer angular velocities between its outputs than the FJ80's differential.

If you have a `regular' differential with one output affixed to a concrete slab and another to a tire in free air, assume a 1:1 ratio, the tire in free air will spin at the rate velocity as the input. Let's call this value 10; the other output spins at 0. These #s are arbitrary.

Now with a VC like the FZJ80's, you notice an closer rate between each output. In the example above you would logically have that tire spinning at let's say a value of 8.

The rate difference (ala differential) between scenario #1 is 10, scenario #2 is 8 (what you notice empircally whilst off road in the FZJ80). Therefor, there must be additional energy loss in the VC differential, which is perfectly logical given the action of a VC. As such an FZJ80 will logically loose a bit of power to its axles in comparison to an FJ80 (assuming they had the same engine and all friction in each tcase was the same).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom