CD changer (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I would really like to add a CD changer to one or both of my '80s. I have the stock radio, and would like to either keep it or upgrade to a newer toyota radio that will control a CD changer. I have '94 and a '97, will either of those stock radios control a CD changer. Has anyone done this?

I could be completely wrong but I think if your factory unit has a CD it won't control a changer. The Lexus LXs that had changers did not have CD in the dash. There are two ways to add a changer to your existing unit. One is to add an FM modulated unit which is fairly straight forward. The second is to add a stand alone unit. I'm not sure if there are too many of these still available. I have an Alpine 1203 control which is a CD changer controller that is a stand alone unit with its own volume, bass, treble, etc... controls. It has pre amp outputs for connecting directly to an amp. When you turn the regular radio on it automatically shuts itself off. I'm not sure you could connect this to a factory LC amp or not. I'm really unfamiliar with how the LC amps work. Or you could probably add a Lexus head unit and CD changer. There should be some of these around as folks upgrade on audio equipment all the time.

Ben,

Why not just change out your old radio's for new technology that has an in dash CD changer? Probably cheaper in the long run.

Brent,

I like the stock appearance and was just trying to retain as much of that look as I could.

Ginericfj80,

I like the option of finding a Lexus unit or a newer Toyota unit. Has anyone attempted upgrading in this manner?

If you want to keep the stock head unit, then you can get a changer that basically just uses FM modulation to connect to your stereo. You just tune in to a certain frequency and it's your CD changer (the changer itself usually has several different frequencies that you can choose from). You control the changer itself with a wireless remote that's usually included. Look here for some ideas: http://www.crutchfield.com/S-JoxGnLw1JbS/cgi-bin/ProdGroup.asp?c=3&g=610&s=0&cc=01&avf=Y&search=

If you go this route (actually with any changer) I would strongly suggest going with one that can play MP3s, you know how many HOURS of music you could store that way?!?! If your average song is (5MB ~ 4 minutes) that's 140 songs per CD, if you had a 10 disc changer you'd have about 1400 songs or 5600 minutes (93 hours) of music. :p Someone check my math but I think that's correct.

If you want to go full MP3, they have the newer hard drives that can be installed instead of a changer. I think I've seen a 20 gig one.

1 meg normally equals one minute of music. 20 gigs = 20,000 megs

If you figure a song averages 5 minutes (on the high end), that would be 4,000 songs.

You'd never need to change anything and still have virtually every song in your collection in your car at all times.

Here's one from Kenwood. Their marketing says it can hold up to 5,000 songs, but that would be at minimal quality:

http://www.crutchfield.com/S-3FohDYUa2M7/cgi-bin/ProdView.asp?s=0&c=3&g=50800&I=113KHDCX91&o=m&a=0&cc=01&avf=N

I have an MP3 changer in my 91. I've only gotten around to making 4 CDs. I listened to one CD from Idaho to Silverton, CO and never listened to the same song twice.

The problem with FM modulated CD changers is that your CDs will only sound as good as FM radio because you are basically using the headunits FM sensitivity to receive the CD info.

You should be able to pick up a Lexus headunit and changer fairly cheap. I would try local audio stores and see if they have done any recent installs in LXs. It is sad to say but a lot of nice factory units end up in the trash. The stores don't really want to sell used stuff and there isn't a whole lot of market for them. When space becomes valuable they get pitched.

I was looking on ebay and didn't see any radio or cd changer combos for the LX 450. Does anyone know if other Lexus radio or cd changer combos will work with the TLCs (for example, would a LS400 system work)?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom