CCOT plastic tank (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
OK I just finished installing the CCOT plastic tank. Added some fuel after the cover was placed over it and it leaks like crazy. Anyone have any experience with these tanks. I sealed it as posted a few months back all around the fuel sending seal with gas proof material that will seal that area and not allow fumes to leak up into the cab. Otherwise I followed the directions perfectly with no adjustments to anything.

Any tips on this...? I must have missed something?

Is it actually dripping? Or are you just getting gas fumes?
This is the standard FJ40 under passenger seat tank, correct?

Hey there, I installed one of those poly-whatever gas tanks in my LC also. But on mine there is no hole.. etc for gas to leak out of. I installed this thing a million years ago, so I might have forgotten somthing. Sounds to me like the connection is faulty.

Is it actually dripping? Yes it is....bigtime

Or are you just getting gas fumes? No, strong drips....

This is the standard FJ40 under passenger seat tank, correct? Yes.

I think I did a faulty install.. Swapped a hose "bass ackwards" or something.

I should have bought a OEM steel tank.

yes you should have bought an OEM, I made the same mistake, something must have horribly gone wrong with your install. Re-check your install. I like the tank other than the fume problem. But that can be fixed. I really don't see where they could leak.

While you're back in there, make sure the sender is sealed up tight, that is where the fumes come from.

Did you replace your fuel lines and clamps? Cheap insurance, when I did mine I found cracks in the hoses everywhere that were causing slow leaks. BTW I have used in the past, a two part marine epoxy on my factory tank for pitting leaks and it's worked great for two years.

I installed the tank about two weeks ago, and it has been in my garage sitting with a full tank of gas in it and have had no leaks, fumes, etc....i did purchase the fuel line kit that came with it and also replaced all lines, from metal frame lines up to tank. I did at first notice a little drip from the return hose, but tightened the clamp and have had no problems what so ever.

I found the leak. One hose clamp need two more full turns. Just enough vacuum pressure with all that air to spit fuel from it until I tightened it down. Lucky for me you guys were around. Thanks a million.

This is a little off the the topic this tank leaking, but I have another question pertaining to CCOT's plastic tank.

Just ordered one yesterday for my 77 FJ40. Will I be able to use the stock tank shield that goes over the top of it? Or do those barbed fittings stick up and get in the way? Wondering if anyone else is using there tank with the stock shield?

Thanks, Matt

I am. Works fine. I hope you bought the hose kit. I didn't and it cost me two days of downtime and extra hassle.

No, I didn't. I've got a hardware store so I figured I could just use what I have here, lots of fuel line. I was looking on CCOT's website, they have a diagram with a description of the hoses, looks pretty straight forward? I was just thinking those barbs on top might kick the shield up into the seat brackets or not allow it to come down all the way?

Another question, looking at another plastic tank thread a month or so ago about sealing around the sending unit, looked like a problem? Could a guy make a 1/4" Aluminum ring the size of the gasket for the sending unit, drill and tap holes to match, cut it in half (so you would have 2 half moon pieces). Then put each piece inside the tank with a dab of grease so it stayed there while you threaded the sending unit into it. Essentially making a very large flat washer to thread into on the back side of the sending unit. From what I read it looks like the screws threaded into the tank just don't have enough torque to seal in that area? I'm assuming it leaks out when the tank is full?

Just an idea, wondering if anyone did or thought of this?

Matt

You could do all that with the aluminum or you can just use black caulking around the sending unit like I did. My way took ten minutes and works well. No smell of fuel from the tank at all.

For the sake of the conversation, I used my stock tank cover with fuel lines I bought locally and all new clamps. Tank cover fits tight but perfect....

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom