CB antenna on ARB front bumper OK? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

So I mounted a 3ft Firestick on my ARB and the AWR was around 4 using a calibrated NanoVNA. I though that a ground strap may help, but that brought it to an SWR around 7.... I am going to run a CB with a footwarmer (way offload only), so I really need to bring that down. Any suggestions other than removing the ground strap?

You need more ground plane; flat sheet metal perpendicular to the antenna like a roof top or a hood are ideal for this. If you're set on keeping it mounted to the bumper, then try a longer antenna that will project above the plane of the hood more.

I have had good success with a Ham mag antenna in the middle of the roof metal. And with a shorty one too (when anticipating trees).

You need more ground plane; flat sheet metal perpendicular to the antenna like a roof top or a hood are ideal for this. If you're set on keeping it mounted to the bumper, then try a longer antenna that will project above the plane of the hood more.
Definitely this advice. A great place would be the factory radio antenna location as well. Ground plane on a bumper will almost always be less than ideal. On a vehicle, there is always going to be a tradeoff. My antenna is mounted old school on a ball mount on the side of the quarter panel, but it's a 7 foot antenna with plenty above the roof. But for the heater I have with my radio, it performs really well. SWR is around 1.2 on 1 and 40. Factory radio antenna location is probably where my ham antenna will go when I get that all sorted.

So I mounted a 3ft Firestick on my ARB and the AWR was around 4 using a calibrated NanoVNA. I though that a ground strap may help, but that brought it to an SWR around 7.... I am going to run a CB with a footwarmer (way offload only), so I really need to bring that down. Any suggestions other than removing the ground strap?
SWR's that high usually mean something is broken. Have you gone through the steps in this guide? high-swr-troubleshooting-guide

A basic concept on a metal vehicle is here. Not just reception, but, also transmission.

1712732283442.png
1712732283442.png

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom