Catalytic converter and probe (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I just ordered MagnaFlow 23894 to replace my catalytic converter. When I took out the old cat, my probe was welded on. So I cut it thinking that I can just order a new one? Should I look for a used one?

Do I need this probe this my new catalytic converter?

The probe is a thermocouple that works with the emissions computer to control things. You don't need it if you are de-smogged. If you still have all the smog stuff, I would replace it.

It's there to detect overheating of the catalytic converter. If the cat gets over about 1200°F, it signals the emissions computer to divert the air injection out of the exhaust.

I have the Thermosensor in my Magnaflow, but those things were necessary when the Factory CAT was a giant restrictive block. The Magnaflow is much more free-flowing (OBDII spec) and supposedly much more efficient as evidenced by the much-reduced size.

So that sensor is *probably* not needed. And there's no guarantee the used one you get will work, unless it's been tested and is within spec. I have a few in the garage and none of them work.

Reactions: OSS
Thanks for all the advice. I will try Mgnaflow without it then. Should I plug the hole in the Mmagnaflow? How should I use to plug it?

Thanks for all the advice. I will try Mgnaflow without it then. Should I plug the hole in the Mmagnaflow? How should I use to plug it?

I don't remember if that's a blind hole into the CAT or an open tube... If it's open, I just you could just bolt a small cap over it or weld the hole or JB weld high temp stuff ?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom