Caster Correction on 2" lift - 80 Series (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Social Distancing Weekend - My buddy and I installed the 2" OME lift on my 80. We got everything done but could not loosen up the bolts to install the caster correction kit (no matter what we tried!). Since I no longer have access to his tools or expertise as he lives in Denver, anyone know of a guy who might know a guy that has the capability to press the old ones out/new ones in on the somewhat lesser side of expensive? I'm still waiting on my Trump checks. :)

I had the same issues with bolts on front trailing arms. I used a wire brush and cleaned as much as possible, the rust from the exposed threads of each bolt. 3 on each arm. I then sprayed the bolts and nuts with Blaster PB thread penetrating spray. I could not break the nuts loose, so I called Chris at Toyo Masters, on Hawkins, near Ellison and Jefferson . He was able to remove the bolts and I had him press out the worn out rubber bushings. I had bought Dobinson's (4)eccentric rubber bushings, off set holes ,for 2 inch lift. I got the frame bushings( 2) from American Toyota with MUD discount. That is all you need for just a 2 inch lift.
Chris pressed in the bushings and did an alignment. He pressed in bushings as per directions from Dobinson's. I already had a 2 inch Ironman lift, but all the bushings were worn. My 96 80 rides much better, straight down the road. Hope this helps your situation. Any other questions. Let me know.

I called Chris at Toyo Masters, on Hawkins, near Ellison and Jefferson . He was able to remove the bolts and I had him press out the worn out rubber bushings. I had bought Dobinson's (4)eccentric rubber bushings, off set holes ,for 2 inch lift. I got the frame bushings( 2) from American Toyota with MUD discount. That is all you need for just a 2 inch lift.
Chris pressed in the bushings and did an alignment. He pressed in bushings as per directions from Dobinson's. I already had a 2 inch Ironman lift, but all the bushings were worn. My 96 80 rides much better, straight down the road. Hope this helps your situation. Any other questions. Let me know.
How much? The book says 6-7 hours apparently but I can't drop that flow for the labor right now.

$360 labor, 42.50 alignment. Worth it since I could not loosen bolts/nuts.

I haven't ever done this before, but am willing to help.

Social Distancing Weekend - My buddy and I installed the 2" OME lift on my 80. We got everything done but could not loosen up the bolts to install the caster correction kit (no matter what we tried!). Since I no longer have access to his tools or expertise as he lives in Denver, anyone know of a guy who might know a guy that has the capability to press the old ones out/new ones in on the somewhat lesser side of expensive? I'm still waiting on my Trump checks. :)
Good morning... Do not use caster correction polyurethane bushings as they do not good like rubber does and add unnecessary stress to the welds on your front axle causing cracking. Use caster correction plates instead.

Good morning... Do not use caster correction polyurethane bushings as they do not good like rubber does and add unnecessary stress to the welds on your front axle causing cracking. Use caster correction plates instead.
I bought the same part# as what is included on the lift kit from Cruiser Outfitters. Cruiser Outfitters

Last edited:
I am using the same part# as what is included on the lift kit from Cruiser Outfitters. Cruiser Outfitters
Please clarify which one you are using. There are caster kits and caster correction plate kits with different part numbers. The page you sent me has numerous lift options. I'm assuming you are using the poly bushings which is why you are pressing out your bushings decaster plate kits are different which is what you should use. Again the poly bushings cause undo stress on the welds on your axle and I have seen the welds crack when in use.

I second what Juan mentioned above, do not use the OME caster correction bushings as they're too stiff. When your twist the front axle during wheeling, these bushings tend to flex less than rubber or some other composite bushings. Something has to give so what ends up fatiguing are the welds on the bracket that connects your front radius arms to the axle housing. This has been reported numerous times in the 80 section, so study up on it.

For 2" lift, I'm not sure if caster correcting plates are required as they might increase your caster too much but do your due diligence. Other manufacturers build caster correcting bushings with softer material to alleviate stress on the bracket welding.

Dobinson's has for 2 inch lift, rubber caster correction bushings. That is what Dobinson's recommends for 0-2 " lift. They have correction plates for above a 2 inch lift.
Rubber is better than poly bushings . Poly bushings also wear out quickly.

Dobinson's has for 2 inch lift, rubber caster correction bushings. That is what Dobinson's recommends for 0-2 " lift. They have correction plates for above a 2 inch lift.
Rubber is better than poly bushings . Poly bushings also wear out quickly.
So I decided I was gonna return the poly bushings I bought on Amazon and go with rubber, and the Order page on Amazon says "Return window closed on Mar 22, 2020". Ugghhh

Whit's End has caster correction plates for a 2.5" lift. Kinda pricey though for what they are. Are the bushings you have in there now the original factory ones? On my truck all of the original rubber bushings were shot due to age. I used to have the Old Man Emu caster correction bushings in the front - now I have plates and new OEM bushings and it is a much better setup.

Whit's End has caster correction plates for a 2.5" lift. Kinda pricey though for what they are. Are the bushings you have in there now the original factory ones?
Yes, all current bushings are original factory rubber. Once I installed the lift over the weekend, the steering is much looser since we didn't get to the poly bushings install part yet. Now, I found a shop that is gonna do it for a good price but I want to use rubber instead. These Dobinson's ones seem to be what everyone here is recommending over the poly set of 4. Dobinsons Rubber 2.5° Caster Bushing Kit for Toyota Land Cruiser 80 Series(RB59-522K) Problem now is I paid $143.00 incl. tax on Amazon and I passed my return date by 2 days. :-(

We stock all of the popular caster correction options @ Cruiser Outfitters. OME, Dobinson & SuperPro (Poly or Rubber correction bushings), DVS (replacement arms with caster correction), SPC (caster correcting knuckle bearings) or Slee (caster correction plates). Yeah, we like correcting caster :D

Regarding the various Poly Caster Correction bushings. We've sold thousands of them and I've driven around the world on them (literally), they do have less compliance than a rubber bushing but they are still completely workable as proven by the tens of thousands of Land Cruisers running them for 20+ years. While they can/do transfer force to the axle, so can/does a factory bushing and we've repaired cracked control arm mounts on rubber bushing & aftermarket control arm Cruisers too. If you've got a high flex 80 with severe offroad use... correction bushings are the wrong answer, rubber or poly imo. You should be looking at plates or arms. Should you be using plates, we stock both OEM and aftermarket rubber control arm bushings and poly aftermarket bushings from OME and SuperPro. Options are king!

We stock all of the popular caster correction options @ Cruiser Outfitters. OME, Dobinson & SuperPro (Poly or Rubber) DVS (replacement arms with caster correction), SPC (caster correcting knuckle bearings) or Slee (caster correction plates). Yeah, we like correcting caster :D

Regarding the various Poly Caster Correction bushings. We've sold thousands of them and I've driven around the world on them (literally), they do have less compliance than a rubber bushing but they are still completely workable as proven by the tens of thousands of Land Cruisers running them for 20+ years. While they can/do transfer force to the axle, so does a factory bushing and we've repaired cracked control arm mounts on rubber bushing Cruisers too. If you've got a high flex 80 with severe offroad use... correction bushings are the wrong answer, rubber or poly imo. You should be looking at plates or arms. Should you be using plates, we stock both OEM and aftermarket rubber control arm bushings and poly aftermarket bushings from OME and SuperPro. Options are king!
Thanks for your experience in this discussion.

Jumping in on this thread. Ive got a 96 with a 4" OME lift installed by PO. Currently on 35 geolandars. She's got the OME bushings in the arms. From what ive gathered, I should put new OEM bushings in, and put caster plates on. That corrrect? Thanks in advance. I'm coming from a 2014 Tacoma, so new things to learn with these beasts!

Jumping in on this thread. Ive got a 96 with a 4" OME lift installed by PO. Currently on 35 geolandars. She's got the OME bushings in the arms. From what ive gathered, I should put new OEM bushings in, and put caster plates on. That corrrect? Thanks in advance. I'm coming from a 2014 Tacoma, so new things to learn with these beasts!

There are a handful of ways to correct caster, bushings, plates, brackets, bearings and arms. It really comes down to your budget and needs.

For 4", your ideal options will be OEM bushings and plates OR complete new arms w/standard bushings. We can help with both @ Cruiser Outfitters. We also stock bushing and bearing options too! info@cruiseroutfitters.com | 801-563-1277

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom