Cassette Tape Adapters (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Guys I'm going nuts! This whole thing is sort of trivial but here's the deal. I bought a random cassette tape adapter that has the 3.5mm cord coming out of it and have been using it in my LC for a year now. The sound quality is excellent, no noise at all. Bought another one and it sounds like garbage. Bought another one, sounds like garbage. Bought another one, sounds like garbage. I'm on adapter number 4 now and it still sounds like s***! And I know I'm not going crazy because I put my first one in and it sounds amazing. So I know my player is good. The last adapter I bought was the exact same brand and model as the one that works well, and even that new one sounds like s***! What is going on? Why is it impossible to find a good one anymore? I've tried all kinds of brands and none of them perform?

How doable is that little mod where you solder on your own Aux port into the cassette deck? Last I saw that thread, it seemed like flea surgery. I try to stay away from work where I can really mess some stuff up.

Waiting for your inputs!

I second the BT45-TOY. Great upgrade. Easy to install. No more cassette adapter.

Chris

IMO, it's a small price to pay not to have to use a cassette adapter. I didn't even consider it and had my BTOY module installed the day I bought my truck.

Plus, you won't have to buy 5 more just to find a good one down the road. :meh:

Great suggestions guys. Waiting for the guys who still use cassette adapters or soldered into the tape deck to chime in.

I did use a cassette adapter for many years. It was a Sony which came from an old Car Discman I had from the 90's. It had good sound but when I had to get a new one, they sounded like crap. Probably cheap components with poor tolerances so it didn't mate up with the head correctly. That's when I went for the BT45. It also adds calling to my 2003 and the steering wheel controls can control the music track.

Sorry, I've never heard of the mod to the cassette player.

Chris

That's what I'm talking about! Most of those newer ones are trash. I have bluetooth set up and it cost me about $25. Great sound quality, microphone right on the dash, can play my tunes all through my speakers, which I refoamed instead of spending hundreds like some people here suggest. And I didn't even need to make a day out of it to take out all my components and tap into all sorts of wires.

I'm a little confused and curious: if you have bluetooth set up in your car already, what would be the point of a cassette adapter?

I have this thing:
https://www.amazon.com/AUKEY-Blueto...id=1549071512&sr=8-5&keywords=aukey+bluetooth

Which mounts on top of my dash as it houses the microphone, the bluetooth chip, and has 3 buttons on it to skip songs and end calls. It plugs into usb for power and has another wire out of it which is a male 3.5mm audio jack. As you know our land cruisers don't come with a place to insert an audio jack, so I use a female to female 3.5mm adapter connected to this bluetooth device on one end, and a cassette adapter's male 3.5mm audio jack on the other end to complete the chain.

how do you connect this BT45 thing to the Toy system? Plug and play or wire surgery or ?

Before I deleted the nav system, I used an old Sony cassette adapter from who knows when. Honestly sounded just fine, probably as good of a signal that head unit could make. The cord got a little slice in it and I looked for a new one but many reviews for the newer ones say they sound bad. So I just repaired it.

Huh? A "cassette"? Use English!

And buy one of these:

BT45-TOY

Will this allow me to still keep the factory hands free calling capability that I already have on my 05 LC? I only need this thing to stream the music.

Edit: actually reading the linked page seems to point to yes.

Will this allow me to still keep the factory hands free calling capability that I already have on my 05 LC? I only need this thing to stream the music.

Edit: actually reading the linked page seems to point to yes.
Yes. You can keep factory. But it does the phone too if you want it all in one. The sterring wheel functions for volume too.

couple of Qs for those with the BT45-Toy:

1. Does it cause any electrical interference with HAM radios?
2. The USA Spec site calls for an additional CAS-TLC cable, but I can't tell exactly why? Does this connect to the disc changer? I ask bc I am planning to remove the disc changer anyway and am not sure if I need the cable.

Cheers,
Matthew

I use a tape adapter that I have my Sat receiver plugged into.
It somehow does sound insanely good compared to any others that I have used?
I am sure it has to do with the way the head in the tape unit matches up to the adapter pickup for the head. Just a random chance and somehow the one I have now is a good fit......for now at least.

I only really listen to Sat. in the truck and my factory BT works as well as it can with my phone so while I have considered getting each of the wired options to get rid of the Tape adapter I just don't think it is worth the money for me to get the tiny bit of use they will provide me.
I don't need to send anything BT from my phone aside from using the phone for calls which already works,mostly.

If there were a better way to get the Sat directly then I might go there but the add-ons that I have seen for Sat. in the OEM system don't seem all that much better than what I do now?

I think I am more inclined to try to replace the whole radio somehow than any idea that stops short of that.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom