Carputer installed (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I'm planning to replace my stock radio with a carputer with a 7" touchscreen replacing the 2 din radio =) Does anyone know the color codes for the radio harness? I ordered the TA-02 harness and it doesn't fit the plugs :mad: So I think this might be for the non-thief radio. I have 2 din radio with the 6 disc changer in back. Does this radio have the external amp? How much watts is this amp? Can I run this amp for my audio out on my laptop? What switches this amp on? I also notice a small fan ~3" just above the radio under the dash? What is this for? TIA ::) I will have to fab my own connectors if I can't get the correct adapter.

Tony
1996 LX450

Radio harness schematics

Tony,how many connectors did you find behind your radio?

mine is a toyota not a lexus(so they may be different)but the factory radio(double din)used one plug,but there were two others back there used with a set from a stereo shop(mine came fron circuit city)and i beleive these bypass the factory amp(but still sound ok cause modern headunits have better than stock power.

doug

Radio harness schematics

On the my lx450 there are only 2 connectors. One for the car speaker harness, and a second that connected to the 6 disc cd changer. I've already tested this by unplugging and plugging these plugs. The adapter I bought TA-02 has 2 plugs also but neither fit the plugs. If I can get the schematics for the harness I can (hopefully) use the internal amp to power the audio from my carputer. Otherwise I'll have to install an amp and would still need to find the correct wires for the speakers. Thanks

Radio harness schematics

The Carputer is in :D. Here's a pic. Let me know what u guys think :flipoff2:
It's running MCE, Routis 2004 for GPS, D-Link fm radio, Storix DVD-CDRW, wifi 802.11 for downloading from my driveway. Now I can listing to tons of MP3's and watch videos or DVDs.

The adapter was correct, but it was connected to the factory amp and not the factory HU. I removed the amp and now run a 300 watt amp in the rear side cargo area with 4 gauge running from the BAT to the AMP. I also plan to install a couple power outlets back there.

posting pics

Sorry about the low res. pic. Not sure how u guys are posting higher res and mulitply pics. I'm using the attachment area and it's only allowing jpg or gif's under 90 kb!!! ???

Re:Radio harness schematics

gif images suck for photos....you should use .jpg's, they get much cleaner photo resolution.

Radio harness schematics

Here's another try at the pic :eek:
It worked... I just renamed the file extension :p

The Carputer, and other like-kind video devices, are pretty cool, but out here in the People's Republic of California, videos viewable from the driver' seat are strictly regulated. You get caught watching a video while driving and your a$$ is in deep.

There are exclusions, of course, for GPS, mapping, and real-time OBD monitoring devices, but otherwise they are patently illegal in a moving vehicle unless it's in the back.

Cheers, R -

Greddy0,

Is that (small silver box) the factory amp in the last picture ? Did you have a chance to check if it has the rear speaker brackets (as the ones LCs have). LXs do not have these speakers but I'd like to add them if possible.

Frank.

Frank...I think that silver box is his crossover...

Correct bkgiii, that silver box is the electronic crossover. This pic was shot before all the wiring was inplace. There was no bracket for the speakers above the headliner in my LX. The rear sub bracket also isn't there for the rear subs on the landcruisers. The factory amp is located right behind the PS front speaker on the dash. :cheers:

U'oh you just cost mea buch of $, I gotta have that, I have seen some computrs installed in cars and it is always cheezy looking and I was not interested

That is a slick install, did you roll your own MATX board into the dash or install a ready made kit?

[quote author=raventai link=board=2;threadid=9099;start=msg89574#msg89574 date=1073983452]
U'oh you just cost mea buch of $, I gotta have that, I have seen some computrs installed in cars and it is always cheezy looking and I was not interested

That is a slick install, did you roll your own MATX board into the dash or install a ready made kit?

[/quote]

I'll double the request for more info on the specs and sources of the "carputer" - also do you have an OBDII interface on it?

Thanks~! I have a bit of reading to do now...

I'm running my carputer on a laptop. The slim DVD CD-RW is located under the touchsreen monitor. I am using Routis 2004 for mapping and guidance (it has big buttons and voice guidance). There is also a obd2 diagnostic tool connected to the obd2 port. Most of the thing are contollable by the touchsreen, I also have a wireless keyboard if needed. I need to replace the switches on the right side cause they don't match :'( The USB radio is just FM, but I don't listen to much radio anyways. I've downloaded tons of mp3 and ripped a bunch of cd onto the HD.

Very nice - thanks! It looks like you are well on your way to a very clean installation. On board diagnostics alone would make this worth it in my eyes...

What software is needed to do this (obd2 diagnostic tool connected to the obd2 port)? would like to hook something like that up in my fzj.

Tim

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom