Carburetor smog lines (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I was wondering if anyone knows how important the smog ports on the carburetor are for passing California smog? I’ve got an 87 FJ60 that I’m putting back together and the carb I’ve got does not have all of the ports for the smog lines. I was going to try plugging them and doing a smog test. If anyone’s got the correct carb laying around and wants to sell it let me know. I’ll attach a pic of the carb I’m looking for (pic courtesy of CCOT). I circled the ports that come off the back side. My carb only has one port at that location instead of the four pictured.
Thanks!
05DFE838-F8B4-4C66-A1C5-5E28546D435D.jpeg
05DFE838-F8B4-4C66-A1C5-5E28546D435D.jpeg

California emissions testing involves both a visual inspection as well as a tail pipe test. The visual inspection will check that ALL the originally provided emissions control equipment is properly installed. The tail pipe test ensures it is working properly. I think it is unlikely you will pass the visual test if you are missing vacuum ports and hoses. And this also suggests there may be other emissions equipment that is not installed. One of those ports indicated in your picture helps the EGR system work, and without a working EGR it is unlikely you would pass the tail pipe test either.

My advice is to source the correct smog-ready carburetor for this vehicle. There are some threads in this forum about folks successfully transitioning to fuel injection in CA, so that might be another approach, but it would probably be more expensive. If a previous owner already has removed some of the other smog related equipment, you may need to source that stuff too.

California emissions testing involves both a visual inspection as well as a tail pipe test. The visual inspection will check that ALL the originally provided emissions control equipment is properly installed. The tail pipe test ensures it is working properly. I think it is unlikely you will pass the visual test if you are missing vacuum ports and hoses. And this also suggests there may be other emissions equipment that is not installed. One of those ports indicated in your picture helps the EGR system work, and without a working EGR it is unlikely you would pass the tail pipe test either.

My advice is to source the correct smog-ready carburetor for this vehicle. There are some threads in this forum about folks successfully transitioning to fuel injection in CA, so that might be another approach, but it would probably be more expensive. If a previous owner already has removed some of the other smog related equipment, you may need to source that stuff too.
That’s what I figured. I’ll keep trying to find the correct carb. I’ve got all the rest of the smog equipment. I bought this 2f in Oregon and just realized it has a different carb. I should have just put a diesel in it. Thanks for the reply.

No smog tech is going to know the carburetor on the 2F. Why not test it as is and see if it fails? Won't cost too much for the trouble and then you'll know for sure. Don't tell the smog tech anything. Just wait outside until the test is over. If it fails - ask him specifically why. If he asks you about the engine just tell him it's new to you and you're testing it for the first time and you don't know anything about the engine.

But I agree with 2mbb - a non-USA carb will almost always not pass a smog test

No smog tech is going to know the carburetor on the 2F. Why not test it as is and see if it fails? Won't cost too much for the trouble and then you'll know for sure. Don't tell the smog tech anything. Just wait outside until the test is over. If it fails - ask him specifically why. If he asks you about the engine just tell him it's new to you and you're testing it for the first time and you don't know anything about the engine.

But I agree with 2mbb - a non-USA carb will almost always not pass a smog test
I agree. I’ll probably test as is while I keep looking for another carb just in case. Thanks!

Make sure it’s a “pre test” so if you fail you don’t go to gross polluter category in the DMV system

My guess is there's more smog-related bits missing than just the OE carb.

Pics would help.

And a Diesel in a 60-series LC presents its own Kalifornia registration headaches.

Last edited:
@Spike Strip just wondering, if you had an engine that showed no signs of stuff being capped/plugged off or missing, do the smog check techs look at pics of a stock engine to compare it to?
assuming most of the techs are born after the 60 series stopped production

I picked this from another thread. The smog technicians mush have some reference to do the visual inspection and the functional inspection. One time I failed either the fuel cap or fuel evap controls test (fuel system wasn't holding pressure) and had to replace lines associated with EVAP system. Of course he probably doesn't check the routing of each vacuum line. He relies on the tail pipe test to determine the system is working properly.

1607523607058.png

@Spike Strip just wondering, if you had an engine that showed no signs of stuff being capped/plugged off or missing, do the smog check techs look at pics of a stock engine to compare it to?
assuming most of the techs are born after the 60 series stopped production
Yes, a schematic of the engine smog bits shows up on the machine's screen after tech inputs VIN

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom