carburetor impossible to adjust..... (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I am trying to adjust carb by the lean drop method. I set the idle mix screw to 1 1/2 turns and tried to get idle off 1200 rps's. with the idle screw. It wouldn't move anything. Simply couldn't get the idle to 690 to start the adjustment process. Any ideas? Original Aisan carb on an F2 engine. Thanks

It is primarily the idle speed screw that controls engine rpm. It is on the firewall side, kinda low, the screw head faces the fender side. The idle mix screw just adjust the idle circuit mix of fuel and air.

Vacuum leaks sometimes make it impossible to lower the idle.....

What is your vacuum reading?
haven't done that yet. need to get vac guage. also timing although it used to be correct before I adjusted the valves.....Also, Pinhead said start at 3 turns out. Going to check throttle screw today first...... thanks for the suggestions

Question - I need to set my idle as well. So by “3” turns out , does that mean I crank it all the way down and Then do 3 turns out ?

Last edited:
Question - I need to set my idle as well. So by “3” turns out , does that mean I crank it all the way down and Then do 3 turns out ?
the 3 turns out is after fully closing the Fuel Mix screw, not idle screw. That's down low on the fender side. There is a very good video on you tube on how to adjust an aisan carb on an F2 Toyota engine

does that mean I crank it all the way down and Then do 3 turns out ?
No, don't "crank it down", just screw it in gently until it seats and then back it out 3 turns

Yeah, you'll gouge the idle mix tip if you crank it down to far. Seen a few mucked up tips posted on mud.
EF463220-BA46-4C1B-A9BD-2AC3EE3DB170.jpeg

Green = throttle positioner screw. Remove & discard
Black = hi-idle screw. Adjust so idle speed goes up to around 1800RPm w/ choke knob pulled on warm engine.
Red = idle speed screw. Set to user preference, usu in the 500-700RPM range when warm.
Yellow= idle mix screw. Set 4 turns out for inital running, then screw in til RPM starts to drop, then back out til idle reaches highest speed.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom