Carb rebuild, just to share the fun... (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Mtbcoach

Threads
Well, I'm attempting to prove how dumb I am and rebuild the carb off the FJ45, which is really out of an [STRIKE]'85 FJ60[/STRIKE] (edit - an error in my understanding of what this rig came with. Somehow, I misunderstood and only the tranny/transfer case is off a 60, the 2F is all '77), with a "non-USA" carb according to the PO.

Instead of doing what most would do and order the rebuild kit from our local auto parts store, I decide to cover my bases and order the specific kit from Spector, at least that is what I thought I was doing. We will see if it turns out to be smart later.

I won't bore anyone with the fun part, removal and the state it started in...
FJ45carb-2.jpg

Needless to say, it was fun cleaning, soaking, scrubbing, soaking some more, scrubbing some more, soak, scrub...gets me to this point. The pile o'parts, it cleaned up pretty well considering the start...
FJ60carbrebuild-01.jpg

FJ60carbrebuild-03.jpg

FJ60carbrebuild-04.jpg

FJ60carbrebuild-05.jpg

FJ60carbrebuild-06.jpg

FJ60carbrebuild-07.jpg

Can't decide if this is a casting flaw or someone was having a hard time removing it before me...
FJ60carbrebuild-09.jpg

FJ60carbrebuild-10.jpg

So, everything is going fine until step 3 in the FSM, install the 1st "slow jet". Its not the same length...
FJ60carbrebuild-12.jpg

Like WTF? So, then the search begins on ih8mud to find the answer. I've read through so many carb rebuild threads, my head is spinning. So many posts that jets can be found at the local dealer, Spector but not by me. I can't even find the part number for the "slow jets".

Best part of all is the ONE that needs to be replace is this oddball. Its clearly plugged. I've let it soak overnight in the carb dip but can't get it to clear. I'm ready to try and push something through but wish I had a back up in case my usual bad luck rears its head and I wind up boring a HUGE hole in the jet.

Sent an email to JimC without response and one to CDan to see what he can find in his magic resource book.

So, I'll let it soak again today and start the "poking" process tonight when I get home.

And, just for the sake of discussion, the jets I took off were:

power valve - 90
1st slow jet - 55
2nd slow jet - 90
pri main jet - 150
sec main jet - 220

I'm assuming the changes are due to "tuning" for the de-smog but can't say for sure at this point since I don't know what is stock for a non-usa carb. What does everyone know stock for the US carbs are, something like this:

power valve - 80
1st slow jet - 65
2nd slow jet - 90
pri main jet - 147
pri sec jet - 200

What came with the kit was:

power valve - 80
1st slow jet - 65
2nd slow jet - 90
pri main jet - 132/138
sec main jet - 180/200

More to come, I hope...

Last edited:
When I picked up my 80 in Ohio, I stopped by and talked with JimC. He said if I had questions to call him. He says he gets hundreds of emails and PM's asking questions, and unless he recognizes your name/screen name, he doesn't even open them....

When I picked up my 80 in Ohio, I stopped by and talked with JimC. He said if I had questions to call him. He says he gets hundreds of emails and PM's asking questions, and unless he recognizes your name/screen name, he doesn't even open them....

Thanks Brian, thats good to know...

JimC just replied on the thread I posted in the 60 forum. Says it reman junk, 77 era parts. Kind of explains why things didn't match up.

Hurts to find I've been mislead (again) by the PO, phawk me...

I had the carb in my 60 the same way when i first got it years ago. I keep it soaking for about 40 hours and then took a sewing needle to it.

It worked good for mine. Think it will work fine for yours. Mine would not idle prior to me going thru it. Has worked great since then.

JimC just replied on the thread I posted in the 60 forum. Says it reman junk, 77 era parts. Kind of explains why things didn't match up.

Hurts to find I've been mislead (again) by the PO, phawk me...

Seems like that kind of stuff is going around... coughLongfieldscough

Apparently, I didn't read the info on this rig carefully enough. I guess I read it one way while the PO meant another:

I dropped in a 2F, trans and transfer case from an 85 60, non-usa carb

That reads to me that the 2F AND trans AND transfer case from an 85 60 with a non-usa carb. Apparently, it really means dropped in a 2F but the trans and transfer case are from an 85 60 and I pieced together a carb from parts.

Its my fault, should know more about what I'm buying and probably should have made a trip to NJ before buying something sight unseen, other than pics. No worries, it is what it is and I just want to know what I've got so I can at least buy the right parts for the engine/drivetrain I've got in it.

Back to the task at hand, its all back together but for the linkage. I'll do final inspections and tighten everything up and get ready to take off the intake/exhaust manifold to replace the leaky gasket and maybe get it machined flat before I put it all back together...

I just pulled the intake / exhaust on my 60. Putting on one of Marshalls carbs and totally desmogging this thing.

I would recommend the machine shop for the intake / exhaust. Never know how long it has been since it was done. At least take a good straight edge to them.

Not really any use. But have you ever thought of doing a 2FE conversion for this truck?

I just pulled the intake / exhaust on my 60. Putting on one of Marshalls carbs and totally desmogging this thing.

I would recommend the machine shop for the intake / exhaust. Never know how long it has been since it was done. At least take a good straight edge to them.

Will definitely put at least a straight edge but more than likely get it machined.

I've thought a lot about one of Marshall's carbs also, but, then I think about what Al says below...

Not really any use. But have you ever thought of doing a 2FE conversion for this truck?

I've been planning on doing a dual-fuel set up with Propane but the more I think about it, just doing that might be the way to go.

The problem being I'm a complete noob at this and I've got a bunch of reading to do first, then trying to come up with some numbers as to how much I'll be in trouble for...

Will definitely put at least a straight edge but more than likely get it machined.

I've thought a lot about one of Marshall's carbs also, but, then I think about what Al says below...

I've been planning on doing a dual-fuel set up with Propane but the more I think about it, just doing that might be the way to go.

The problem being I'm a complete noob at this and I've got a bunch of reading to do first, then trying to come up with some numbers as to how much I'll be in trouble for...

I think there is a cheap 3FE for sale here in charlotte still if you are interested. I think that is what I would do if I had a 55 or 40.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom