Carb rebuild - general rule of thumb (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Edited my luandry list of things to do in post #8 to check for vacum leaks first...

Some of reason for my huge list of things to try and cure the hard starts was due to the by-annual SMOG test. Didnt try any of them and passed SMOG with flying colors.

Pulled my cap and rotor... looked terrible (the rotor more then the cap) so they were both replaced. Also replaced a few cracked tubess while I had things apart. Put it back together and theres a 100% improvement and it runs cherry now. After, I tightened the carb and checked for vacum leaks with carb cleaner... none that I coud find.

That's as far as I have gotten.

It could still use some minor "tuning" but I need to find and fix the dam exhaust leak(or leaks???) before anything else.

Last edited:
even though it isn't as fast as checking off the list some of the small stuff, I would go ahead and do a valve adjustment and get the timing set before doing all the smog stuff testing. i'm a hack mechanic, and an "inattentive mechanic" as JimC put it. very good word choice. even at that, i did the valve job and set the timing myself.

even though it isn't as fast as checking off the list some of the small stuff, I would go ahead and do a valve adjustment and get the timing set before doing all the smog stuff testing. i'm a hack mechanic, and an "inattentive mechanic" as JimC put it. very good word choice. even at that, i did the valve job and set the timing myself.

Good point about the valves and timing. Added to the list.

When you did the Sea Foam, did you pour it down the carb throat or just in the tank? As stated, it won't clean junk out of your float bowl. What it will do is clean the intake manifold, removes carbon deposits on valve faces and in the combustion chamber. Carbon in the chamber or on piston crowns is a common source of pinging. When the carbon heats up, it provides an ignition source for the mixture and in extreme cases can cause "run on' or 'deiseling" after you turn off the key. When I obtained my 60, it would do that. Sea Foam cured it.

When you did the Sea Foam, did you pour it down the carb throat or just in the tank? As stated, it won't clean junk out of your float bowl. What it will do is clean the intake manifold, removes carbon deposits on valve faces and in the combustion chamber. Carbon in the chamber or on piston crowns is a common source of pinging. When the carbon heats up, it provides an ignition source for the mixture and in extreme cases can cause "run on' or 'deiseling" after you turn off the key. When I obtained my 60, it would do that. Sea Foam cured it.

Good info... thanks.

I poured the seafoam in a full tank of gas.

Not sure if this makes sense but... after replacing the cap and rotor the hard starts, bit of pinging, and running a bit rough are all cured. Runs like a top now. Deiseling was never one of my problems though.

I would try Pin Heads advice of raising the vacuum to unplug the ports.

Well, the truck is running great (feels as good as a fresh rebuild on the carb) and I daily drive this truck.

I will try this just for the hell of it and report back :D

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom