?Carb cleaner (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I was at the auto parts store the other day and couldn't resist the temptation to buy a can of carb cleaner. Any suggestions for areas I should us this stuff on? I'm still having the hesitation here and there but not too annoying to motivate me yet. I finished the kitchen remodel now working on the master bath addition - boy am I a sucker for self inflicted pain! I'm planning on finishing all this headache up in the next 2-3 weeks and then 100% dedication to fixing this rig up for some serious camping. I think I'll get a new distributer and maybe rebuild the carb but I'm curious if this stuff will do anything for me in this time of "I have no extra time".

Shoot it down the vent tube.. if I remember right, there is a tube that is cut at an angle, like the end of a giant needle, I think it goes down to the float bowl where the fuel sits before it is consumed.. You can spray it down into the barrels too while running. It may or may not improve anything. If you have debris or varnish plugging any small circuits/tubes then it won't do much.. While you are at it, pump the throttle and see if you get any squirts of fuel down the barrel. Just grab the throttle linkage and twist. Do this while it's not running as it is easier to see. With as many miles as your rig has I'm thinking a carb rebuild is due. The secondary barrel has a vacuum actuated butterfly valve AFAIK that tends to not function due to a cracked diaphragm but I don't think that would cause any hesitation, just a slow throttle response..

without reading all the posts, i think youre on the right track.
i would be looking at the accel pump, like keif says and also the vacuum advance in the dizzy.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom