Canvasback Rear Cargo Liners installed (w/ pics) (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I haven’t seen a lot of posts in the 200 tech forum referencing Canvasback’s Cargo Liners - so here is my take on their 200-specific products and some photos of the whole kit installed in my 2021 200 US-spec.

EDIT: to add in a link to Canvasback’s webpage:

Our LC is a family car and daily driver, so I my intent is to improve upon the interior’s durability and to preserve its finish. The cargo area sees a lot of use, so Canvasback’s full liner kit for the 200 was a natural choice - the Canvasbacks will be installed in addition to a full set of Escape Gear seat covers; my order is currently being fulfilled via Equipt and should ship from South Africa within the month. I’m doing my best to bubble wrap this LC! 🤣

I purchased the rear floor liner, second row seat back cover, third row covers (when stowed), third row head rest covers, and a tailgate cover. After some discussion with the rep from Canvasback, he agreed to work in some large pockets on the third row covers ($40 $50 surcharge). I also asked them to provide openings in the floor liner to ensure the rear tie down d-rings were still accessible.

Install took about 30 mins. Note that I cleaned the tailgate twice with alcohol prep pads before installing the adhesive Velcro tape (for the tailgate cover) - both the car seat removal/reinstall and Velcro tape install took the bulk of the install time.

Here are the photos:

0A8ED2AB-4ACD-47CE-96A7-28DAB365417E.jpeg
967150EC-F293-4DCA-B6F9-FF2B323EDF01.jpeg
09AE7A9E-E271-432C-B090-A888A1D6F4A8.jpeg
23413B71-414B-401E-AAF8-86F61480F74D.jpeg
42802AB2-2482-4804-9029-E29BB5CCF5AC.jpeg

Last edited:
Thanks for sharing, Steve - look great. I had a set of the Canvasbacks on my old 4th gen V8 4Runner and they were quality.

Thanks for sharing, Steve - look great. I had a set of the Canvasbacks on my old 4th gen V8 4Runner and they were quality.

You bet - no problem. Canvasback is a cool little “mom & pop” operation; well worth the six week lead time and it’s great they’ll customize their products within reason.

I’m still surprised they make these liners for such a low-volume production vehicle like the 200-series. IIRC, years ago a member on Mud let Canvasback measure his LC’s cargo area for a full set of liners and the rest is history.

Last edited:
I've got an order in with Canvasback for the tail gate cover and 2nd row seat cover. I can't order the cargo cover yet, because they don't have a 2 row template yet, and it's a long drive to Minnesota.

I've got an order in with Canvasback for the tail gate cover and 2nd row seat cover. I can't order the cargo cover yet, because they don't have a 2 row template yet, and it's a long drive to Minnesota.
Hopefully a HE owner in the MN area can make that happen.

I'd love to see an assembly that protected the plastics when there are no third row seats present. In my '98, the entire cargo area is protected all the way up to the windows by a heavy canvas liner and it's designed for no third row.....saved my plastics and carpet from 20+ years of abuse, but unfortunately, the company that made them is no longer. Maybe Canvasback can fill the void.

I'd love to see an assembly that protected the plastics when there are no third row seats present. In my '98, the entire cargo area is protected all the way up to the windows by a heavy canvas liner and it's designed for no third row.....saved my plastics and carpet from 20+ years of abuse, but unfortunately, the company that made them is no longer. Maybe Canvasback can fill the void.
I would venture to guess Canvasback would do it if you made an appointment and could commit to leaving your vehicle at their shop for a day or two for measurements, etc.

I’ve considered doing something similar when I eventually install a set of ARB drawers in the rear of our 200.

@MTN2SND I want to pass this good news directly from Canvasback.

Today I received an email from Cameron at Canvasback and he thanked me for creating this thread - apparently a client emailed them the link to clarify some details before ordering a set of liners for their 200.

Cameron saw your post and mentioned to me that the HE / third-row-delete rear liner is in the works and should be listed on their website within two weeks. A 200 owner has already left their HE LC at the shop for measurements and an initial production unit has been manufactured. For email alerts when it’s live on their website, send an email to: info@canvasback.com

He sent me some photos of the pre-production unit, which I told him I would share with the Mud community:

74F718ED-D60E-4EB1-BA19-AF1BCC7D13DB.jpeg
A43F8374-60C7-486C-9F09-C6E0E458B320.jpeg
4EBDA0A9-BA7E-4346-B3EE-F371C9F41AF0.jpeg
3B3957C3-4C6E-4E55-B551-1AD240EB7A73.jpeg
B84B8FEB-6369-49BF-9430-F92B7AC48C77.jpeg

-Steve

Hey Canvasback, is it your intent to create liners to protect the plastics of wheel arches up to the base of glass? If so, I'm a buyer.
DSC_1046.JPG
2021-06-26 13.11.57.jpg

Last edited:
@yona thanks for this thread. I ordered the exact setup you did for my white 2020 with 3rd row. Great that you took the time to swap the rear weather cargo map from under to ontop of the cargo liner and get pics. Do you think the tailgate piece is redundant with the part of the cargo liner that covers the tailgate? It looks like a good option to have when not running the full cargo liner. My total was $519 with only 2 headrest covers for 3rd row seats. That is less expensive than a Gunner dog kennel that really would not fit with one of the 3rd row seats in use. Same for having both folded and a fridge with the kennel. This setup is the bomb for our Golden Retriever.

@yona thanks for this thread. I ordered the exact setup you did for my white 2020 with 3rd row. Great that you took the time to swap the rear weather cargo map from under to ontop of the cargo liner and get pics. Do you think the tailgate piece is redundant with the part of the cargo liner that covers the tailgate? It looks like a good option to have when not running the full cargo liner. My total was $519 with only 2 headrest covers for 3rd row seats. That is less expensive than a Gunner dog kennel that really would not fit with one of the 3rd row seats in use. Same for having both folded and a fridge with the kennel. This setup is the bomb for our Golden Retriever.

No problem at all. Yeah, moving the cargo liner on top of the Canvasback liner just made sense. The rubber OEM mat is there to absorb any abrasions from strollers or gear being loaded/unloaded and the Canvasback liner fills in any gaps missed. The Canvasback material also catches any loose sand or dirt and keeps that debris from imbedding into the carpet - the canvas material is so much easier to vacuum and clean.

Not sure what you mean by the part of the cargo liner that protects the tailgate. My OEM rubber liner doesn’t cover the tailgate (see the photos). I don’t think any component of the Canvasback liner kit is redundant; I would recommend buying the full suite - especially if you plan on keeping you dog in the rear of the vehicle.

Thanks for this, I ordered the hatch cover for $35!!

No problem at all. Yeah, moving the cargo liner on top of the Canvasback liner just made sense. The rubber OEM mat is there to absorb any abrasions from strollers or gear being loaded/unloaded and the Canvasback liner fills in any gaps missed. The Canvasback material also catches any loose sand or dirt and keeps that debris from imbedding into the carpet - the canvas material is so much easier to vacuum and clean.

Not sure what you mean by the part of the cargo liner that protects the tailgate. My OEM rubber liner doesn’t cover the tailgate (see the photos). I don’t think any component of the Canvasback liner kit is redundant; I would recommend buying the full suite - especially if you plan on keeping you dog in the rear of the vehicle.
My confusion between the first and second sets of pics. Different colors made me think there were 2 layers on the tailgate itself.

I appreciate y’all doing a lot of the front in work. I’ve always admired canvas backs design. The design for the 2016 4Runner is slick.

Since I don’t intend to sell my 2020 cruiser (Silver/black) I’m on somewhat of a mission to “bubble wrap” it within reason. My 2001 thundercloud/grey still looks incredible. Unfortunately that light and dark grey color combo is long gone and the black plastic in these scratches if you look at it wrong.

I’d be very interested in a solution that protected the plastic on the sides and wheel wells. Also somewhat mitigates the issue us non HE owners have with removing the seats(have yet to do it).

It sounds like canvas back is up for anything if they have the car to take measurements. Not in the cards for me to drive up from Atlanta.

Anyway. If anyone else is looking for the same I’d love some insight. I’m going to reach out to canvas back myself but sounds like some have already had the conversation.

Always appreciate the help,
Noah

I too would like the plastics covered from the floor, over the wheel wells, and up the bottom of the windows, although I'm removing my third row seats just like my 1998....took them out 22 years ago and they're still sealed in plastic.

@yonah did you leave the OEM cargo area removable carpet installed under the canvasback? I am about to install my kit and plan to leave it in place for extra noise abatement. Unless it makes the D rings too short to be usable or causes other fitment issues. I'll put the OEM rubber cargo mat on top of the canvasback.

Also, is the tailgate the only place that needs the velcro? Do any strips go on the carpet? Their instructions are generic and mention some carpets will not grab firmly with their hook tabs.

Unfolded i see velcro in numerous places where it adheres to the carpet. I guess our carpets don't have the protective coating that would need to be removed with mineral spirits, you would have mentioned that. I'm going to proceed with the OEM carpet mat under the canvas and rubber OEM mat on top. Looks like it will stay put.

@Dunbar No need to remove any OEM carpet. Simply give everything a good vacuum and detail, then install the Canvasback liners on top of the carpet. Then slap the OEM cargo slush mat on top of the liners. You’ll be good to go. The factory D-ring tie downs will have enough of their respective loops present for a bungee cord to fasten. It’s kind of difficult to fish the D-rings through the cutouts in the Canvasback liner and the OEM cargo mat, but it can be done. I have a couple bungee cords affixed to my D-rings to keep them from recessing back into the liner; which would result in fishing them back through again - over and over, whenever I needed to secure something in the back of the 200. I hope that all makes sense.

The liners have velcro on the back that weakly adheres to the 200’s carpet. It’s enough to loosely keep the liner in place, but not enough to hold the liner down if any excessive force is applied to pull it up. I think that’s really a testament to the durable, close pile of the 200’s carpet and not a flaw in Canvasback’s design.

No need to stick any velcro tape to the carpet. I think that would be a bad idea in the long term anyway. The only place you’ll need to adhere the velcro tape is on the tailgate plastic trim. Definitely clean that plastic with something non-abrasive, like alcohol, to remove any oils or dust that would prevent a strong bond. My velcro tape is still holding very strong. I just rotated my tires this evening in the garage and flipped up the Canvasback tailgate cover when accessing the tire lowering system. All good.

Last edited:
Thanks @yonah . My truck came with the carpet cargo mat. I just plopped the rubber one on it. Looking again at the instructions the first step is to remove the existing mat is applicable. After testing a couple of combos i decided to take it out and store it with the first 2 row mats that were replaced by Huskies.
The instructions actual do say to apply the provided velcro to both carpet and plastic as placed. Each sewn on side has its mate attached with the plastic film. They say to lay out the piece, locate where the mate is to go, and after separating it from its sewn on mate, remove film and press it firmly onto the carpet or plastic. Takes 48 hours to adhere to the carpet. If it won't after that it means that the carpet was treated and they have a method to remove the protectant. I did clean the plastic parts with alcohol. I'll put the canvas in tomorrow before loading the fridge and dog.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom