Builds Canguro Racing's Monica (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Awesome, thank you very much for your time.

The front coilovers, I can tell they are a 2.5 with a 10 inch stroke dual rate.

Do you guys cut through the factory shock tower and wield a mount further up ?

Or do you wield a whole new tower ?

Is the lower control arm mount same as factory or also modified ?

Thanks a bunch!

Front coil over goes right through the factory mount to a new upper mount. All upper and lower (front and rear) control arms are in factory locations.

Front coil over goes right through the factory mount to a new upper mount. All upper and lower (front and rear) control arms are in factory locations.

Awesome!, It's very cool that you guys managed to keep all links stock. Especially ball joints!.

Do you gain any extra down or up travel from this rear setup or is it mainly for increased oil volume, tuning and damping ?

Much appreciated.

This stuff is just awesome ! Thank you guys for posting this content it inspires me allot.

I am really curious how well does it sock up those jumps and large impacts ?
It all depends on how far you air it out. Aside from one very awful exception, we rarely jump the truck, if so it's very controlled. Any suspension will 'g out' if pushed hard enough. When it does happen it feels like every single joint, from your toes to the top of your spine, compresses and rattles you pretty hard. Obviously we do our best to avoid those as much as possible. I had the opportunity to ride with Bryce Menzies in his TT a couple of summers ago. The suspension was absolutely insane. 4' whoops at 110mph. However, even it ran out of travel at one point and I just laughed thinking to myself that even TTs have limits. They monitor their shock oil temps real time and pull back when needed to keep the shocks working properly.

As @cruiseroutfit mentioned above. We definitely ran out of talent (actually poor communication) a few year ago at the Mint. Landed on the flat, compressed our motor mounts enough to knock a huge hole in the oil pan, and compressed my spine a fair amount too. I've attached a pic. The good news is people were started to line up to watch the unlimited race, so our worst ever DNF was witnessed by about 2k people.
DBIMG_1578.jpg

It all depends on how far you air it out. Aside from one very awful exception, we rarely jump the truck, if so it's very controlled. Any suspension will 'g out' if pushed hard enough. When it does happen it feels like every single joint, from your toes to the top of your spine, compresses and rattles you pretty hard. Obviously we do our best to avoid those as much as possible. I had the opportunity to ride with Bryce Menzies in his TT a couple of summers ago. The suspension was absolutely insane. 4' whoops at 110mph. However, even it ran out of travel at one point and I just laughed thinking to myself that even TTs have limits. They monitor their shock oil temps real time and pull back when needed to keep the shocks working properly.

As @cruiseroutfit mentioned above. We definitely ran out of talent (actually poor communication) a few year ago at the Mint. Landed on the flat, compressed our motor mounts enough to knock a huge hole in the oil pan, and compressed my spine a fair amount too. I've attached a pic. The good news is people were started to line up to watch the unlimited race, so our worst ever DNF was witnessed by about 2k people. View attachment 2045164
🐖 🐖 do fly!!

Awesome!, It's very cool that you guys managed to keep all links stock. Especially ball joints!.

Do you gain any extra down or up travel from this rear setup or is it mainly for increased oil volume, tuning and damping ?

Much appreciated.

We get a little extra travel but it has much more to do with the latter. A local friend use to tune for a TT and he comes with us for our testing sessions. It's amazing how dialed we can get the truck with his help. I'm the poor guy that has to drive during those sessions. Dozens of passes at 10/10ths through known terrain. No fun at all ;). We shoot video, combined with seat of the pants feedback, to tune the shocks. Also, we do run limiting straps front and rear to protect CV and u-joints from extreme angles as we can deal with slightly less travel far easier than failures during a race.

Thanks for those insights

We get a little extra travel but it has much more to do with the latter. A local friend use to tune for a TT and he comes with us for our testing sessions. It's amazing how dialed we can get the truck with his help. I'm the poor guy that has to drive during those sessions. Dozens of passes at 10/10ths through known terrain. No fun at all ;). We shoot video, combined with seat of the pants feedback, to tune the shocks. Also, we do run limiting straps front and rear to protect CV and u-joints from extreme angles as we can deal with slightly less travel far easier than failures during a race.

Thats awesome,

Do you guys use a fuel cell or the factory fuel tank ?

They use a fuel cell :

Most sanctioning bodies require that for this type of racing.

We ran a local race over the weekend and got lumped in with 2 Class 8 unlimited truck and 2 6100 trucks. We ended up taking second in our 'class' behind one of the Spec TTs. Once class 8 blew a motor, the other got stuck for over an hour and the we somehow beat the other 6100, they finished about 40 mins behind us. Not sure if they had mechanical issues or stuck. The course has lots of dunes so 2wd rigs can struggle.

The race was 5, 40 mile laps and each of us took a turn behind the wheel and we gave our chase team members a chance to co-drive and spend some time in the truck. Somewhere at the end of lap one, start of lap 2 we hit something really hard and bent our low control arm. It messed with the alignment (which made the high speed sections a bit interesting) but also clearanced a shock issue we had. King had clocked our shock slightly and the bypass tubes were rubbing on our UCA on the passenger side. Once the rock mangled our lower it also moved the shock enough to avoid further rubbing damage.

We also had our started quit on us. @cruiseroutfit and I had been through this on his own personal rig a few years back so we knew how to jump the starter directly. While the truck was off we filled the tank (plan was to do it after lap 3) then got her started using a lithium jump pack. We didn't shut her off the rest of the race. We have a lot of work to do before the 1000 but overall we treated this race like a testing session and now we know we have some things to get done, hopefully a new wrap and we'll be back in Baja.

48615242577_6d3318dbe3_o.jpg

48614755533_1f20848762_o (1).jpg

imagejpeg_0.jpg

48615260147_f99ca03aea_o.jpg

48615298367_0db14a00c5_o.jpg

Out of curiosity, did that LCA hit move the mounts / tabs on the crossmember?

If I remember right rules dont let you guys reinforce any of that stuff but surprisingly they look like they are where they are supposed to be from the angle of the photo!

Out of curiosity, did that LCA hit move the mounts / tabs on the crossmember?

If I remember right rules dont let you guys reinforce any of that stuff but surprisingly they look like they are where they are supposed to be from the angle of the photo!
Yes it bent the mounts. We'll have to figure out a repair. You're correct we can't reinforce according to the rules. We've been lucky so far that this is our first real damage.

Yes it bent the mounts. We'll have to figure out a repair. You're correct we can't reinforce according to the rules. We've been lucky so far that this is our first real damage.

Ah bummer, I get that they have that rule to keep people from building extra cages on things in the name of "reinforcement" but having gusseting for mounts, or limited reinforcement would sure help situations like this.

When I crew chiefed a SCCA rally team for a few years we could do some basics but nothing crazy and it sure helped the production cars live a little longer.

Ah bummer, I get that they have that rule to keep people from building extra cages on things in the name of "reinforcement" but having gusseting for mounts, or limited reinforcement would sure help situations like this.

When I crew chiefed a SCCA rally team for a few years we could do some basics but nothing crazy and it sure helped the production cars live a little longer.
It would be so simple to do and make so much sense but they want stock to remain stock whenever possible.

Sometimes you just have to go inverted to get the job done. In this case our new master cylinder boots have to go on after the cylinders are mounted. Go @canguroracing

We are racing this weekend!

IMG_20191008_200957_474.jpg

Do you guys run a gopro or similar onboard when racing? It would Make a cool YouTube to watch.

Do you guys run a gopro or similar onboard when racing? It would Make a cool YouTube to watch.

We have in the past but I don’t know that we’ve ever posted them. @dmc has generally rocked the GoPro action.

We use to do a lot more back when I had a house. An average race we'd have about 200gb of video. The 1000 would be closer to 500gb so lots of data and I had a machine that I used to edit. When I moved to an RV full time it became much harder to do it so I stopped editing and just clipping into 30 mins segments. We still post a fair amount of video on social media but not so much youtube.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom