Can this be fixed (parts replaced)?? (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Take a look at this unfortunate situation on an otherwise really nice LX570 that I am interested in purchasing... Cup holders melted? Ash tray console chipped and maybe smashed a little?

Is this stuff we'd just have to live with unless we spend a fortune? Or is it possible to make that look nice again?

IMG_0949.jpg

The cup holder is easily removed and replaced. No screws or fasteners, just pull it up. The other piece you could pick off a wrecked LX and put on. Easy fix. I’d be more concerned about wtf caused the cup holders to “melt.”

Cup holder can be replaced, it actually pulls out (probably $120). The ash-tray is wood veneer, and you can buy the surround (~$450). I couldn't find anyone to replace the wood veneer, but they could hydrodip it for ~$125 or so.

I’d want to make sure that thing hasn’t been smoked in… dropping ash in the cup holders?

Cup holder can be replaced, it actually pulls out (probably $120). The ash-tray is wood veneer, and you can buy the surround (~$450). I couldn't find anyone to replace the wood veneer, but they could hydrodip it for ~$125 or so.
Hydrodip the chipped side? I am not sure if the ash tray is broken or what.

I'm not so concerned about the cosmetic damage you can see, but very worried about what caused this damage and what horrible things might be hidden underneath. For example, did a previous owner try a brute force removal of the center console in order to attempt to install some unknown aftermarket electronics?

Lack of care and possible hidden damage - I'd pass.

HTH

Hydrodip the chipped side? I am not sure if the ash tray is broken or what.

Sorry, should be clearer. The ash-tray itself folds out, but the chipping you see is the ash-tray surround. It's a separate piece, and the veneer is peeling away from the underlying plastic.

Sorry, should be clearer. The ash-tray itself folds out, but the chipping you see is the ash-tray surround. It's a separate piece, and the veneer is peeling away from the underlying plastic.
Gotcha. So youre saying that is unlikely to look "restored" with any type of repair. I'd need to find a used surround. What does the hydrodip do?

I'm not so concerned about the cosmetic damage you can see, but very worried about what caused this damage and what horrible things might be hidden underneath. For example, did a previous owner try a brute force removal of the center console in order to attempt to install some unknown aftermarket electronics?

Lack of care and possible hidden damage - I'd pass.

HTH
If you look to the right of the shifter there is a plug in that comes from under the 4x4 controls. That plug appears to be for aftermarket headrest dvd players that are installed.

Gotcha. So youre saying that is unlikely to look "restored" with any type of repair. I'd need to find a used surround. What does the hydrodip do?

You can glue down the passenger side that appears to just be peeling away, but no as to the driver side. Hydrodip will strip the veneer and recover with a fake wood film. It might be CLOSE, but mine wasn't a perfect match. I ended up getting a new piece. Good luck finding it in a wrecker though. It's a rare part, and many of the older ones are peeling anyway.

You can glue down the passenger side that appears to just be peeling away, but no as to the driver side. Hydrodip will strip the veneer and recover with a fake wood film. It might be CLOSE, but mine wasn't a perfect match. I ended up getting a new piece. Good luck finding it in a wrecker though. It's a rare part, and many of the older ones are peeling anyway.

OK. So what i'm seeing to the right of the ash stray is the veneer sort of bowed out, and it could be glued back. I was thinking the ash tray had been pushed too far in or something.

And to the left is just a chunked off piece of veneer.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom