Can Stock alternator handle amp and sub? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
i have in my 82 fj40 right now just a small cd player but i think i may be getting a small amp and one subwoofer to put in the back for some extra bass. will this hurt my amp or draw to much power. i have no other aux. items hooked up, this will be all.. thanks

You should be fine. Your stock alt. should be a 55A unit.

Have fun!

-Steve

I'd think about installing a gm alternator. I did and don't regret it. There's a thread on it. Gm alternators range from 60- 150 amps stock! It all depends what year you get. I used a cs-130, 100 amp, from a 89 chevy 1500 4wd pickup. I think it cost me $100.00. Before you get one, just ask your parts guy and he should be able to tell you how many amps it will put out, before you buy it. Mine came with a serptine belt pulley, I removed that and replaced it with a regular pulley off a 10si alternator, works fine. Mine is installed on a 74 fj40 f engine. Checkout alternatorparts.com, they offer a wiring plug to make it work. I hope this helps you out.

Godzilla, did putting that bigger gm alt. get rid of your headlight dimming at stop signs/idle?

I did the same thing w/ my 78 no more dim lights and i run 2 12" subs no problem, Brad.

Folsom, no more headlight diming. Works great!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom