Camping (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Howdy!

I'm helping the best man plan a bachelor party camping trip for my brother. We're looking for something within 3 hours and not near anything paved. This is going to be the weekend of May 11th.
The only option I've thought of so far is Flagpole Knob.

Do any local experts have some suggestions?

Thanks!

There are a couple of meadows near Switzer lake in GWNF that will accommodate a large group of drunks. You just have to stake out your claim before the JMU boys show up.

Greenridge state forest has group sites that could be fun. The used to be a shooting range there too.

Greenridge state forest has group sites that could be fun. The used to be a shooting range there too.

I second Green Ridge. No real offroading, but campsites are all group sites and some are a good half mile away from any others. Shooting range still open last time I went in January. Unsupervised range and have to bring your own targets along with stakes to put in the ground unless someone leaves theirs.

We weren't able to camp, the weather isn't cooperating. We went from Switzer to Flagpole Knob and had a late lunch. We're at an Airbnb drinking and playing games now.
20190511_153842.jpg

was the road from flagpole to reddish knob closed with signs? I saw on the MTB page that the FS is working on that section...if you came out Union Springs, I was wondering if you saw barricades up near Flagpole.

It would've been a crappy night out in the rain...

was the road from flagpole to reddish knob closed with signs? I saw on the MTB page that the FS is working on that section...if you came out Union Springs, I was wondering if you saw barricades up near Flagpole.

It would've been a crappy night out in the rain...
There's no point in them closing the gate from Switzer to Flagpole Knob, there's an easy trail that bypasses it from the Switzer side. We went back down the same way we came up, our Airbnb was right at the bottom of 33 in Harrisonburg. We got a late start, so it made sense to go back down the way we came.

I let all the guys drive the Cruiser, at least 2 of them had never even been off roading before. They loved it, probably not enough to buy a rig, but it was definitely a fun experience for them.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom