Cam gear question (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Howdy folks, I pulled the 1987 FJ60 2F out of my 1980 FJ40 to do a full rebuild after 25K miles of service. At that time, I just did rings and a valve job to the 1987 FJ60 motor before replacing the worn out original 2F in my FJ40. At that time I installed an unknown solid cam gear in place of the failing stock cam gear. I think it was an ITM cam gear and understand that they cam be problematic. The gear looks to be in good shape, but reusing it has me worried considering what I've read here from the guys who know these motors. Should I replace it? With what and from where? I can't find any USA made cam gear online. I'm a retired automotive tech, and don't want to have a problem later. Thanks in advance for any advice.
P.S. sorry for the dirty cam gear pic, that and the crankshaft are due for cleaning tomorrow.

IMG_1684.jpg

Last edited:
All I can offer is I notice it appears to be all in one piece whereas the Toyota gear has the phenolic spacer between the two pieces.
Nice looking project!

PhenSpcr 01.jpg

All I can offer is I notice it appears to be all in one piece whereas the Toyota gear has the phenolic spacer between the two pieces.
Nice looking project!

View attachment 2365986
Thanks Steamer, the gear in your pic looks like my old gear where the rubber was starting to fail and the reason I replaced it with the ITM unit. This FJ40 was my daily driver until 2 years ago when I retired it for a GX470.

If the gear has given you 25k of service without issue, and shows no unusual signs of wear, I would rather continue using it than any other gear. While it’s not as critical as a ring and pinion, two gears that have run together should stay together IMO.

If the gear has given you 25k of service without issue, and shows no unusual signs of wear, I would rather continue using it than any other gear. While it’s not as critical as a ring and pinion, two gears that have run together should stay together IMO.
I think thats my plan, Thanks for the input.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom