California emissions? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

fyton2v

SILVER Star
Threads
Do all 2000 and later 100s meet Cali emissions standards? I'm going to buy a used one and I don't want to limit my search to California alone.

Thanks!

I believe there is some sort of sticker under the hood that says whether the truck satisfies the PRK standards or not.
E

The under-hood emissions label states the emissions compliance level of the vehicle. You will see "federal", "California" and "50 states" labeled vehicles. If you require a vehicle labeled for California compliance, one labeled "California" or one labeled "50 states" will fit the bill.

If the label is "missing" it is indicitive of a collision repair that required replacement of the hood. A proper collision repair involving hood replacement will also include replacement of the information labels. This does not happen any where near as often as it should.

Footnote: It is possible but VERY illegal that a federal emissions vehicle could be "laundered" and re-labeled as a California compliant vehicle. The fines involved are staggering.

I agree with what Dan has said. I think you will find that more used vehicles are exported from California than what comes in. That said, if a California resident purchases a vehicle from out of state, if it is a 49 state car I believe there are some potential problems other than the normal smog check to get it registered including the payment of the appropriate taxes. If someone already owns the vehicle and moves their residence into the state they must pass the smog checks but also show the purchase was prior to the plan to move.

A vintage, 25 years or older vehicle is exempt from those conditions.

Well my cruiser is what Dan described. The hood was replaced and they forgot the labels (which is why I'm getting some from Dan :) )

Now I checked my OBDII with a scan tool I have and it told me I have Cali OBDII. The funny thing is I have a Nevada cruiser.

Hmm probably should have asked Dan if there was a difference in emission labels.

Now a days most everything is set up for all 50 states, which means it conforms to California regulations. My 99 Tacoma is 50 states as well as my 04 wrx. I bought these both in Arizona.

I am lucky that I don't have to look out for all this stuff but on the other hand I will salute you for the a better and cleaner environment. Sooner or later we will have the same laws here. Hopefully :doh:

Mike

No worries Derek,

Yours is a 50 state rig ;)

>> A vintage, 25 years or older vehicle is exempt from those conditions.

This used to be the case, but the law was rewritten in the recent past. From the Calif DMV website...

Vehicles with a year model 30 years old or older are exempt from the smog certification requirements.
Example: The calendar year is 2003- 29 = 1974 exempt year model.
The current calendar year minus 29 equals the year model exempt from smog certification.

R -

[quote author=ParadiseCruiser link=board=2;threadid=10193;start=msg91223#msg91223 date=1074354490]
>> A vintage, 25 years or older vehicle is exempt from those conditions.

This used to be the case, but the law was rewritten in the recent past. From the Calif DMV website...

Vehicles with a year model 30 years old or older are exempt from the smog certification requirements.
Example: The calendar year is 2003- 29 = 1974 exempt year model.
The current calendar year minus 29 equals the year model exempt from smog certification.

R -

[/quote]

Sheesh,

you can make it complicated.

Mike

Feel for you guys, here in SW Missouri all the check is the lights and turn signals, it's like living back in the 50's ;)

[quote author=Pitbull link=board=2;threadid=10193;start=msg91231#msg91231 date=1074355619]
Feel for you guys, here in SW Missouri all the check is the lights and turn signals, it's like living back in the 50's ;)
[/quote]

Here they don't check anything. And we can install anything too.

Mike

[quote author=cruiserdan link=board=2;threadid=10193;start=msg91205#msg91205 date=1074352393]
No worries Derek,

Yours is a 50 state rig ;)
[/quote]

Thanks Dan, you rock!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom