Calico - January 2023 Club Run (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Website
www.socallandcruisers.com
The club is planning a run to Calico on January 14. This run can either be a scenic day trip or overnight trip depending on your time frame. The club run will be on the milder trails around Calico Ghost Town (not on Doran or Odessa). This run will be suitable for stock vehicles but keep in mind a couple of spots are challenging and may either be passable with spotting or through a bypass (I don't guarantee no scratches!). The plan for the day trip is to meet on Saturday (Jan. 14) at the intersection of Calico Road and Mule Canyon Road (click here for map) at 8:30 A.M. and head out on the trail at 9:00.

If you have any questions, post up or message me. Message me if you want my phone number. For our Ham operators, let's use channel 146.535.

See this link for photos from last year’s run: Run Photos

Last edited:
I'll be there, always a great run to kick off the year! I plan on camping saturday night and will be heading back the following morning, 1/15.

I will make this......with a possible extension!!!!

Soooooo......my youtube feed happens to periodically push SUV RVing | Sleeping in an SUV, SUV Camping, SUV Dwelling, etc. - https://suvrving.com/ my way. this guy makes a living out of youtubing his findings of great destinations only accessible by remote driving (pavement & dirt). it's not about the journey (overlanding), but about the destinations. BONUS: he has recently migrated to a 100 series.

Anyway, i saw his latest youtube post about the "January 2023 Rubber Tramp Rendezvous (RTRs)" (2023 Rubber Tramp Rendezvous (RTRs) - https://homesonwheelsalliance.org/2023RTRs/). This is the nomad gathering as organized/made famous by bob Wells of the movie "Nomadland". 'course, these characters kinda sorta maybe exemplify the true meaning of the "overland" trend (remote car camping).

Apparently, there will be a ton of "joe average" car conversions open for inspection versus the big $ overlanders (of overland expo) which we (meaning I) can't afford. I figure this is a ripe event to check out for ideas for our overland members (Marc M.....this means you).

So this thing is 1/15 - 1/20 in Quartzsite, Arizona. A bit of a haul (approx 4 hrs) from our Calico run HQ.

Makes a nice extension from our run for those interested.

That's not my story and I'm not sticking to it :doh:

will do my best

If anyone is interested, attached is a Google Earth file with the route of the trail we have taken the last couple of years. I am planning to follow the same route again this year since the trail has a few challenges and we can usually make reasonable time with a large group. If we have a small group and want a little more of a challenge we can take the alternate routes marked in yellow on the Google Earth file (or some can go those routes and we could meet back up at the main trail). Let me know if you have any other trail ideas to consider.

Also attached are photos of the small waterfall climb and the tight squeeze on the alternate harder routes. I got my Lexus through the squeeze with a 10 point turn and up the waterfall when the truck was stock. I think the waterfall is harder to get up these days.

DSC_0198.JPG
DSC_0961.JPG

Attachments

• Calico.kmz
    7.8 KB · Views: 47
Last edited:
I love that this is a stock friendly run!! My FJ40 has gotten her 1st engine swap & now has a beautiful 2F. But, that's pretty much the only upgrade so far. I don't have power steering and the drum brakes still work pretty well at least. Would this be a good first run to join, or could this be a bit too difficult for a mostly stock FJ40 + an off-road first timer?

Congratulations on owning a great piece of automotive history. The Landcruiser was designed to travel in poor roads of post WWII Japan and later imported to the US for folks looking for a Jeep alternative. As for the trail, I ran it for the first time last year and can say that your Fj40 is more than up to the task. It looks like we’re running the same route and run the same day with optional over night camping. A chance of rain can bring out small surprises. I hope you decide to join the fun.

Would this be a good first run to join, or could this be a bit too difficult for a mostly stock FJ40 + an off-road first timer?
I think that it is a good run for a first timer but there are a few spots which may be a bit nerve wracking for a first time off-roader. There are some steep climbs and descents along with a couple rock piles that will get your attention. We can spot you through any obstacle that you are uncomfortable trying on your own. In some cases there may be a bypass. We can also give you pointers as we go along. Anytime you see something you are not comfortable just stop and wait until someone can help you through.

You should be fine with no power steering but you will need to make sure your thumb is not wrapped around the inside of the steering wheel. At slow speeds the steering wheel can spin out on you really fast when the front tire hits a rock or sharp bump in the trail. It can be very painful when that happens. Ask me how I know... As long as your drum brakes are dialed in you should have no problems.

I think that it is a good run for a first timer but there are a few spots which may be a bit nerve wracking for a first time off-roader. There are some steep climbs and descents along with a couple rock piles that will get your attention. We can spot you through any obstacle that you are uncomfortable trying on your own. In some cases there may be a bypass. We can also give you pointers as we go along. Anytime you see something you are not comfortable just stop and wait until someone can help you through.

You should be fine with no power steering but you will need to make sure your thumb is not wrapped around the inside of the steering wheel. At slow speeds the steering wheel can spin out on you really fast when the front tire hits a rock or sharp bump in the trail. It can be very painful when that happens. Ask me how I know... As long as your drum brakes are dialed in you should have no problems.
Ohh ok I see what you mean. Somehow I missed the second half of the album where y’all are crawling over all those boulders! Definitely a bit anxiety inducing considering I‘ve only driven my truck in 4x4 mode once lol. Starting to think it might be better for me to start out on a nice fire road or something a bit more relaxed 😅

Starting to think it might be better for me to start out on a nice fire road or something a bit more relaxed 😅
I hope that I did not scare you off! Most of the boulder piles are optional. There is one rocky section that is not optional but I am confident we can get a stock 40 up it with no damage as long as we have good spotting and limited throttle.

Starting to think it might be better for me to start out on a nice fire road or something a bit more relaxed 😅
The must-do rocky section is quite friendly to short and narrow wheelbase vehicles like your FJ40. Taking it slow and steady, you’ll find out how good you are as an off-roader 😊. I think Calico is a great beginner’s trail. It starts out Prius friendly and by the time you get to that rocky spot you will have experienced certain maneuvers, how to use spotters, trail communications, etc. that I think you’ll have the confidence to proceed. If you don’t feel ready and decide otherwise I’ll accompany you and explore other sections you are comfortable with. Calico offers something for everyone. I hope to see you there.

Ohh ok I see what you mean. Somehow I missed the second half of the album where y’all are crawling over all those boulders! Definitely a bit anxiety inducing considering I‘ve only driven my truck in 4x4 mode once lol. Starting to think it might be better for me to start out on a nice fire road or something a bit more relaxed 😅
I completely understand your apprehension. However, I’d encourage you to attend this run. One of the big advantages of a club run is that you will be surrounded by experienced drivers, some of whom may have had years of experience in a truck just like yours. Don’t worry, we’ll get you through. And, you’ll come out with more confidence in both your vehicle and your own driving ability. Hope to see you there!

Hey Joe, Chris! I plan on attending this run for the day, will be coming out with Evan and hopefully 1 other buddy of mine looking to join the LC club! Provided this rain lets up, I will see you guys out there!

We arent seriously doing Dorans are we? :eek: Evan and I ended up on Dorans in reverse a few years ago without knowing what we were up against! Crews of highly modified jeeps passed us coming in all saying "you guys are out here in stock yotas?! Right on!" Did not understand what they meant until we reached the waterfall. Basically a 4-5ft straight drop; which was not doable without serious body damage in our (at the time, stock) rigs. We were also much less experienced than we are now, but not sure I would attempt the waterfall even now LOL.

Aside from Dorans, the past Calico runs have always been a fun run and very beginner friendly, with enough optional challenges for all skill levels to pack a whole days worth of wheeling! Look forward to seeing the group out there!

Hey Joe, Chris! I plan on attending this run for the day, will be coming out with Evan and hopefully 1 other buddy of mine looking to join the LC club! Provided this rain lets up, I will see you guys out there!

We arent seriously doing Dorans are we? :eek: Evan and I ended up on Dorans in reverse a few years ago without knowing what we were up against! Crews of highly modified jeeps passed us coming in all saying "you guys are out here in stock yotas?! Right on!" Did not understand what they meant until we reached the waterfall. Basically a 4-5ft straight drop; which was not doable without serious body damage in our (at the time, stock) rigs. We were also much less experienced than we are now, but not sure I would attempt the waterfall even now LOL.

Aside from Dorans, the past Calico runs have always been a fun run and very beginner friendly, with enough optional challenges for all skill levels to pack a whole days worth of wheeling! Look forward to seeing the group out there!
Glad you guys can make it (weather permitting, of course)! We've done both Doran & Odessa in the past, when more of the rigs were built a little more hard-core. I had the only 80 Series at the time on those trails. Got quite a bit of attention... It's not likely we'll try those trails on this run, though. Chris knows the area very well, and he's really good about assessing the rigs/driver capabilities to ensure that we don't tackle anything that wouldn't be appropriate for the rigs that show up.

Glad you guys can make it (weather permitting, of course)! We've done both Doran & Odessa in the past, when more of the rigs were built a little more hard-core. I had the only 80 Series at the time on those trails. Got quite a bit of attention... It's not likely we'll try those trails on this run, though. Chris knows the area very well, and he's really good about assessing the rigs/driver capabilities to ensure that we don't tackle anything that wouldn't be appropriate for the rigs that show up.
Sounds good Joe! I look forward to seeing you guys out there!

"tight squeeze on the alternate harder routes": is that on the part where I did a bonehead "unauthorized" bail and rejoin? If that's the case, I will be doing an "authorized" bail and rejoin:cool:

Also, will be keeping an eye on weather as well. Looks like it missed this storm, so any mud should be relatively dry. I'm a glutton, but not for punishment.

I hope that I did not scare you off! Most of the boulder piles are optional. There is one rocky section that is not optional but I am confident we can get a stock 40 up it with no damage as long as we have good spotting and limited throttle.
Nahh, If anything I'm just psyching myself out a bit lol. Tomorrow I'll finally be bringing the FJ home from the month long stay it's had at the shop. Partially nervous I'll break something & it'll end up collecting dust again. I'm totally motivated to just get out and go for it, so I was at least able to pick up a fire extinguisher and a tow strap. All the hi-jacks I could find were nearly taller than me, which seemed kind of excessive, so I'll keep looking for that one. I know she was literally built for this stuff, so it'd be a shame if I didn't try it out at least once. @Ttoner80 @DirtyRice Joe Thanks so much for all the words of encouragement. For sure couldn't ask for better guides than the people here in this community :) ... Holding out hope the weather turns out ok!!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom