Buying an 80 series with 350k (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

I neglected to mention the A442F is a better transmission than the A343F, too. So you have that going for you.
We’ve all seen odometers of dead 1fz’s at 400k - 500k but the A442f is still there.

On a vehicle this old I'd consider higher miles an asset. Highway cruising is better than sitting, and this would be better than getting a ratty one with 150k miles on it. Just try to make sure the rebuild was done properly with OEM parts.

When buying an older vehicle, i generally want to spend as much of the budget (regardless of whether budget financially limited or simply self control) as possible on the initial purchase itself. If you assume an efficient market (which seems the case with cruisers), then you will get less value by buying or performing work on your dime than paying for what is already there. Additionally, the higher you go up in purchase price, the fewer people there are to compete with..theoretically. long story short, if you have 20k to spend on a truck, and intend to layout 20k regardless, get yourself the nicest 20k truck you can. Maintenance is not a one time event, but rather a constant for an older vehicle that intends to do more than sit. Those costs should be factored in as X per year independent of the purchase discussion. Thats not a bad truck at all for 14k given the current market. All just my 2 cents, which isn't worth much these days.
That's not a bad idea until you consider WHO did the work.

There are a LOT of mechanics that I wouldn't piss on if they were on fire, and I sure as hell wouldn't want to pay for the work they did on a Cruiser to tell me they "rebuilt the head" or "rebuilt the front axle".

If I did the work, then hell yes, I'll trust it.

So, My view, is buy something with a good body and paint and do the mechanical yourself, that's what makes it reliable. Unless you suck at being a mechanic.

That's not a bad idea until you consider WHO did the work.

There are a LOT of mechanics that I wouldn't piss on if they were on fire, and I sure as hell wouldn't want to pay for the work they did on a Cruiser to tell me they "rebuilt the head" or "rebuilt the front axle".

If I did the work, then hell yes, I'll trust it.

So, My view, is buy something with a good body and paint and do the mechanical yourself, that's what makes it reliable. Unless you suck at being a mechanic.
To note to OP, I dont think your point made has to conflict at all, and i do echo your points. When i say get the best car you can for 20k, i should clarify, the "best car" includes factoring in what work has been done and most certainly by whom. If someone plans to do extensive mechanical work themselves that also would obviously change the value in buying a rig needing work. A competent dealer or reputable indy should be sufficient. You wouldn't buy a renovated house with no permits, or a concourse E type with no receipts...research is necessary to assess value. Best of luck!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom